Accidentally Applied ED

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
tenniscourt

Accidentally Applied ED

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:04 pm

I applied to a school and accidentally filled out the Early Decision application instead of the Regular Decision. Could I call/email the admissions office if they haven't given me a decision yet informing them of the mistake or am I screwed?
Last edited by tenniscourt on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hipster but Athletic

Re: Accident on Application

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Umm, my understanding of first year contracts says that yes, you should notify them immediately. Like right now. The risk is that they say "OK, we won't bind you, but you're an asshole, sooo, you're rejected, and you would have gotten in otherwise." So, keep that in mind. Probably matters what your numbers are and what school it was, and what your financial situation is.

tenniscourt

Re: Accident on Application

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:Umm, my understanding of first year contracts says that yes, you should notify them immediately. Like right now. The risk is that they say "OK, we won't bind you, but you're an asshole, sooo, you're rejected, and you would have gotten in otherwise." So, keep that in mind. Probably matters what your numbers are and what school it was, and what your financial situation is.

I've seen other posts where schools notify other schools if you cancel your ED contract. Would that apply in this case?

Hipster but Athletic

Re: Accidentally Applied ED

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:14 pm

I mean, you could always call, tell them that you'd prefer to not tell them your name until you understand what you're getting into, and ask for details (i.e. will you tell other schools even though this was a genuine mistake)

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:I mean, you could always call, tell them that you'd prefer to not tell them your name until you understand what you're getting into, and ask for details (i.e. will you tell other schools even though this was a genuine mistake)

I think I might just leave it.... It's T14 and I'll probably get in so I'd rather not risk it even though I could do better....

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 pm

Email the school right away. There isn't another option but to withdraw your application.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 pm

tenniscourt wrote:
Hipster but Athletic wrote:I mean, you could always call, tell them that you'd prefer to not tell them your name until you understand what you're getting into, and ask for details (i.e. will you tell other schools even though this was a genuine mistake)

I think I might just leave it.... It's T14 and I'll probably get in so I'd rather not risk it even though I could do better....

Are you willing to pay sticker? Don't do this unless you are certain.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 pm

NYstate wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:

Are you willing to pay sticker? Don't do this unless you are certain.

Is ED a for certain sticker? And if I withdrew my application could they still penalize me?

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm

You have not decided to take out 6 figures in loans for school yet. Contact the school as soon as possible and figure it out.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm

ED is not always for certain sticker, but the presumption is overwhelmingly strong that you will not get $. How much time has elapsed since you submitted? Like was it yesterday or months ago? Might make a difference in showing it was a mistake. Have a candid conversation with the school about what happened. I seriously doubt that they will tell other schools/penalize you if they see it as an honest mistake - might make sense to cal anonymously like other bro suggested.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Trout et al wrote:ED is not always for certain sticker, but the presumption is overwhelmingly strong that you will not get $. How much time has elapsed since you submitted? Like was it yesterday or months ago? Might make a difference in showing it was a mistake. Have a candid conversation with the school about what happened. I seriously doubt that they will tell other schools/penalize you if they see it as an honest mistake - might make sense to cal anonymously like other bro suggested.

It was a week ago. I just realized after I saw it on my confirmation email.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Did you sign the ED Form? I'd email say you didn't intend to apply ED but noticed it was on the confirmation email.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Did you sign the ED Form? I'd email say you didn't intend to apply ED but noticed it was on the confirmation email.

Looking at my application, I signed the form.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 pm

tenniscourt wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Did you sign the ED Form? I'd email say you didn't intend to apply ED but noticed it was on the confirmation email.

Was it a mistake or did you just have a change of heart recently?

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:

Was it a mistake or did you just have a change of heart recently?

It was an honest mistake. I thought it said Early Action instead of Early Decision.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 pm

I'd ask for a release, and expect to be dinged. Unless you're pretty certain this school at sticker is by far the best you'll get this cycle, take your scholarship money somewhere else (probably).

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 pm

twenty wrote:I'd ask for a release, and expect to be dinged. Unless you're pretty certain this school at sticker is by far the best you'll get this cycle, take your scholarship money somewhere else (probably).

Why would the school be so bitter? Why not put the person on RD and admit them if you like the application enough?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 pm

twenty wrote:I'd ask for a release, and expect to be dinged. Unless you're pretty certain this school at sticker is by far the best you'll get this cycle, take your scholarship money somewhere else (probably).

Most things I've seen around here is that most schools won't have a problem with shifting to RD if you explain how you accidentally filled out an ED app. You'll look pretty foolish of course, but I don't think that translates to an automatic ding.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 pm

It's not bitterness so much as it's YPing. The school realizes you're not going unless you get substantially more scholarship money, and even then you're not really anywhere close to a sure thing.

It's also not an automatic ding either, I'm sure, but I'd certainly go into it expecting to be dinged.

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 pm

How long ago was this? If it was literally like today, call right this instant, be very apologetic and embarrassed. I doubt it does anything to your chances, mistakes happen. As long as you don't somehow convey to them that they are a safety or something. A small fraction of school's applications are ED ones, they can't afford to be butthurt at everyone who applies RD.

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:17 am

In case anyone was wondering, I called the school and they said it was totally fine so long as they hadn't given me a decision yet and said it happens all the time. If this ever happens to anyone else, I think it would just be best to be honest and upfront about what happened and they'll gladly help.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:17 pm

tenniscourt wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I called the school and they said it was totally fine so long as they hadn't given me a decision yet and said it happens all the time. If this ever happens to anyone else, I think it would just be best to be honest and upfront about what happened and they'll gladly help.

THANK YOU for updating! I had wondered what had happened. I'm glad it all worked out! :D

not that I have nightmares about this or anything nope

tenniscourt

Postby tenniscourt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:22 pm

scoobers wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I called the school and they said it was totally fine so long as they hadn't given me a decision yet and said it happens all the time. If this ever happens to anyone else, I think it would just be best to be honest and upfront about what happened and they'll gladly help.

THANK YOU for updating! I had wondered what had happened. I'm glad it all worked out! :D

not that I have nightmares about this or anything nope

Haha no problem! The school was really nice too. While they had me on the phone they asked me why I was interested in the school and even asked a couple questions about my application. I even got a nice follow up email and everything. They were definitely nicer/friendlier than I expected.

Return to “Law School FAQ”