using your JD to work for the FBI ... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gobuckeyes

New

using your JD to work for the FBI ...

Post by gobuckeyes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:08 am

Has anyone else investigated or at least thought about a career in the FBI post-law school?

I'm scavenging for more information and have sort of hit a dead end.

brokendowncar

Bronze

Re: using your JD to work for the FBI ...

Post by brokendowncar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 am

I looked into the FBI once, but I am colorblind so that's a no go. They don't want people like me.

I know that probably isn't much help to you, unless you're colorblind. It is all I know though.

gobuckeyes

New

Post by gobuckeyes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:38 am

ha no worries, all input is helpful.

I actually had a friend turned away from a govt. agency job thanks to his colorblindness. Seems ridiculous.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:47 am

My legal writing prof looked into it and mentioned it to me (assumed I'd be interested since I was previously in the Marines). Apparently they hire a decent amount of JDs. I'll try to get some more info if you would like.

gobuckeyes

New

Post by gobuckeyes » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 pm

I would definitely be interested in more information.

Anything you can find out would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:06 pm

You got.

hurley325

New

Post by hurley325 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:45 pm

I've looked into it previously, but haven't been able to find out much information. Any info you could enlighten us with would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:45 am

I'm actually pretty interest in it. I'm sure you've visted the FBI website but they have all the entry requirements.

They used to hire a lot more JD's in the 80's and 90's. Now since their emphasis has switched to counter-terrorism they have focused more on linguistic/intelligence personnel. Although a JD, as I mentioned, is still one of the critical skill entry programs. There is a lot of good books on becoming an FBI agent. Just go to amazon.com and type in FBI career or something like that and you'll find a couple good ones. I would list the names of the one's I have read but I don't remember the specific titles.

Plus, If I am not mistaken. The current (or perhaps former) Dean of Admissions at Yale was an FBI agent.

So, if you want to join the FBI, the quickest 100% most effective way to get in is to learn Arabic or Farsi. Do that and your golden. Otherwise, you can stick with the JD.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 am

No colorblind people? :cry: :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:58 am

When you say colorblind, does that mean no color at all or just certain colors?

dudeman101

New

Post by dudeman101 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:27 am

"The applicant must also provide evidence of complete healing by an ophthalmology clinical evaluation. Policy for color vision allows continuation of applicant processing if those who fail initial color vision screening are able to successfully complete the Farnsworth D-15 color vision test."

http://www.fbijobs.gov/1113.asp#2

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:42 am

dudeman101 wrote:"The applicant must also provide evidence of complete healing by an ophthalmology clinical evaluation. Policy for color vision allows continuation of applicant processing if those who fail initial color vision screening are able to successfully complete the Farnsworth D-15 color vision test."

http://www.fbijobs.gov/1113.asp#2
Does anyone have a link for this Farnsworth test (one that actually works, I found one that can't load). I am red-green colorblind, is that the one that you can't qualify with?

wolf13

New

Post by wolf13 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I have looked into this for a long time, and come to the conclusion, that it does not help you at all, aside from the entry requirement. The chances of getting hired directly out of law school are low, but it does occasionally happen. They don't place any extra empahsis on the fact that you went to law school, and other people didn't. They want experience in something they can use, and want you to show investigating skills from prior jobs. A good place to get informtation is realpoliceforums.com Lots of good information, and really puts things into perspective. For example, the DEA hadn't hired any new agents in about 4 years, and recently just opened it up again. You can't just apply whenever you want, they have to be looking, which is not all the time.

This is assuming you wish to be a federal agent. Assuming you don't want to be a federal agent, it is much easier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:58 pm

They look at credit history and employment history. I have a sketchy past in both (went from job to job after high school, and I'm talking A LOT of jobs when I didn't know what I wanted to do) and had very bad credit due to foolish spending/not making enough.

Will this disqualify me? I just took that Farnsworth test and passed so I think I'm good on that front.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:01 pm

It can be a very long time between graduating law school and actually working as an FBI Agent. It does not seem uncommon for 2-3 years to be the start to finish time line in light of the several rounds of interviews, aptitude/personality tests, background checks, etc. This is to say nothing of your time at Quantico.

Most law students I know who consider this route are DQ-ed before they even apply in light of the strict drug use standards. If you have done any hard drugs or smoked pot more than 15 times, you are auto-dinged.

wolf13

New

Post by wolf13 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 pm

A'nold wrote:They look at credit history and employment history. I have a sketchy past in both (went from job to job after high school, and I'm talking A LOT of jobs when I didn't know what I wanted to do) and had very bad credit due to foolish spending/not making enough.

Will this disqualify me? I just took that Farnsworth test and passed so I think I'm good on that front.
All depends how long ago it was. The credit is probably what will hurt you more than the jobs, though it depends on the severity of both. Like someone else said, the drug use a huge thing, and you have to pass the poly. They want to know what you have done since you were 18, with no gaps at all.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 pm

I know the CIA (and, I think, the FBI?) do on-campus interviewing at a number of schools...so it's not impossible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bobsbowl

New

Post by bobsbowl » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:00 am

https://www.pmf.opm.gov/

The FBI will take any PMF finalist with a pulse that can pass a background check.

Outlawed

New

Post by Outlawed » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:27 am

http://www.princetonreview.com/Careers. ... &uidbadge=

I heard you are eligible to retire after 20 yrs of service and you are forced into retirement by the age of 57.

HOLLYWOOD MARINE

New

Post by HOLLYWOOD MARINE » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:23 pm

Max age for employment is 37, strictly for the 20 year service, and mandatory retirement at age 57. Hiring process can take anywhere from 9-24 months.

All Special Agent trainees begin their career at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia for approximately 21 weeks of intensive training. During the FBI Academy, trainees live on-campus and participate in a broad range of training activities. Classroom hours are spent studying a wide variety of academic and investigative subjects. The FBI Academy curriculum also includes intensive training in physical fitness, defensive tactics, practical application exercises, and the use of firearms.

I plan on going this route myself. I have 5 years in the Marines, nearly 5 years as a cop and 3 as an investigator. Also keep in mind, you don't get to pick and chose where you work, you go where they send you. You can attempt to transfer to a different field office after three years, but you are sent where a demand is needed. You could very well end up in Omaha, NE. The FBI has 56 field offices, so keep that in mind.

This is taken directly from http://www.fbijobs.gov

The FBI is interested in candidates possessing bachelor's or master's degrees in engineering/science, foreign languages, accounting/finance, or in criminal justice-related areas. Presently, the FBI only admits applications for candidates who possess at least one of the following skills:

* Accounting/Finance Experience (Accounting/Finance Degree/CPA/or at least 2 years relative work experience)
* Computer Science Experience or other Information Technology specialties
* Engineering Experience
* Fluent in a Foreign Language (Arabic, Farsi, Pashtu, Urdu, Chinese [all dialects], Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
* Law Enforcement or other Investigative Experience
* Law Experience
* Military Experience
* Physical Science Experience (such as physics, chemistry, biology, etc.)

Here is a list of what the FBI investigates;

National Security Priorities

Criminal Priorities
1. Counterterrorism
• International Terrorism
• Domestic Terrorism
• Weapons of Mass Destruction

2. Counterintelligence
• Counterespionage
• Counterproliferation
• Economic Espionage

3. Cyber Crime
• Computer Intrusions
• Online Predators
• Piracy/Intellectual Property Theft
• Internet Fraud

Public Corruption
• Government Fraud
• Election Fraud
• Foreign Corrupt Practices

5. Civil Rights
• Hate Crime
• Human Trafficking
• Color of Law
• Freedom of Access to Clinics

6. Organized Crime
• Italian Mafia/LCN
• Eurasian
• Balkan
• Middle Eastern
• Asian
• African
• Sports Bribery

7. White-Collar Crime
• Antitrust
• Bankruptcy Fraud
• Corporate/Securities Fraud
• Health Care Fraud
• Identity Theft
• Insurance Fraud
• Money Laundering
• Mortgage Fraud
• Telemarketing Fraud
• More White-Collar Frauds

8. Major Thefts/Violent Crime
• Art Theft
• Cargo Theft
• Crimes Against Children
• Cruise Ship Crime
• Indian Country Crime
• Jewelry and Gems Theft
• Retail Theft
• Vehicle Theft
• Violent Gangs

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Great post Hollywood Marine and thanks for your service.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TKO99

New

Post by TKO99 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:41 am

The recruiter said that you still need at least a few years of professional work experience to be considered... so don't go to law school if your only goal is to be a SA. That was the take home message I got from listening to her.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 pm

brokendowncar wrote:I looked into the FBI once, but I am colorblind so that's a no go. They don't want people like me.

I know that probably isn't much help to you, unless you're colorblind. It is all I know though.
Meh

staplegunsarefun

New

Post by staplegunsarefun » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Sadly, they also exclude you if you are bat-sh!t-crazy. I have no hope.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:11 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote: Most law students I know who consider this route are DQ-ed before they even apply in light of the strict drug use standards. If you have done any hard drugs or smoked pot more than 15 times, you are auto-dinged.
LOL at this stupidity. Upon the 16th occasion that you smoke pot, you are magically turned into a burned out, unethical drug fiend unworthy of any further consideration.

For the sake of our country, I really hope they aren't turning any Arab linguists away because they smoked weed 15.5 times. But given the irrational and arbitrary nature of our drug policies, it wouldn't suprise me at all.

(Not directed at you Patrick Bateman, I know you are just citing their policy)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”