Scholarship Chances after Turning down Admission

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Philawsophy

Scholarship Chances after Turning down Admission

Postby Philawsophy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'd like some guidance:

I did not do quite as well on the LSAT as hoped (my goal was elite performance in order to get significant scholarships from UVA, Penn, Duke, and maybe a few other schools in the region). While probably not high enough stats to warrant this, I still have a decent chance at acceptance, and I have received fee waivers from many schools to which I planned to apply. This turns applying into an "it can't hurt to try" type of situation. But in reality, I probably will not attend without scholarships.

If I apply, am accepted, decide not to attend, and then reapply next year with a great LSAT score will I still have a chance at good scholarship opportunities? Or, will schools "hold it against me" that I did not accept admission when offered?

Similarly, is there ever a case where someone defers admission, potentially even paying to reserve a seat in the next year's class, but can still submit a new LSAT score to increase scholarship chances?

Thanks!

Magical Trevor

Re: Scholarship Chances after Turning down Admission

Postby Magical Trevor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 pm

People wait until the next cycle constantly specifically because of the cost of law school attendance. You could also try to negotiate a scholarship later on and as long as you aren't a douche about it you will suffer no ill consequences.

Philawsophy

Re: Scholarship Chances after Turning down Admission

Postby Philawsophy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks. Yeah, I get that people wait, but I didn't know if there were any significant differences between those who wait (and only apply after scoring well on the test) vs. those who apply with a low score (potentially getting accepted) and then reapply later w better stats.

Return to “Law School FAQ”