Is an Easy Undergraduate Experience a Red Flag?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Fish127

Is an Easy Undergraduate Experience a Red Flag?

Postby Fish127 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 am

So I'm about 60 credits or so into my BA, and I have a 3.9 GPA so far. Needless to say, for the most part at least, I've been feeling pretty good about my prospects for law school. Lately though, something has been concerning me. I heard from a few people that for a state college, the place I'm going has a reputation as kind of an easy school. After looking back at all my classes I have to admit, while I haven't exactly been cruising, I have found a lot of the work to be pretty easy. This isn't to say that I haven't been challenged, and I do usually find myself at or near the top of my classes, but I can't help but worry a little bit that I might be having an easier time here than I would at another university.

So my main concern is that if my LSAT score is near the same range as my GPA, and I wind up going to an upper T14 law school, that I'll find myself overwhelmed by the vicious grading curve when competing against people who had the same grades that I did, but attended much more challenging and prestigious universities. Also that I might not really be smart enough for the law school that I get into, if my GPA is higher than it would be at another college. I was just wondering of anybody had any advice on this situation, or perhaps has had similar concerns in the past regarding their own college experience.

goldeneye

Re: Is an Easy Undergraduate Experience a Red Flag?

Postby goldeneye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:10 pm

dude, no. Law schools don't care. If basket-weaving gets you a 4.0 and you can actually make a career out of it should you not go to law school, they'd accept you over an Engineer with a 3.2 GPA.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:12 pm

The above is right, but where did basket weaving come from that made it so popular on TLS for this type of thread? Did we steal that from xoxo?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

It seems OP is not asking about for admissions purposes but if once actually they are in class if they will be disadvantaged against students who had a more rigorous undergrad.

Or I RC fail.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Oh. Well, no, because everything you need to know for law school is learned... in law school.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

You're smart enough to be at any school that accepts you. If you go in with a mentality that everyone is better than you and you don't stand a chance, then everyone will do better than you because you didn't give yourself a chance.

Apply and decide where to go based on the real issues: job prospects, regional placement, money, power, respect. I don't have grades yet, but conventional wisdom is that where you fall on the curve has little correlation with where you went to school. Choosing a worse school because you think ppl there are dumber and you'll do better is a poor decision. Don't do that.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:The above is right, but where did basket weaving come from that made it so popular on TLS for this type of thread? Did we steal that from xoxo?

Good question. It just sounds easy. I guess Communications major would work as well or pottery.

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

I went directional state u -> T6. Law school is definitely tough, but that's the case for everyone. I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage or anything. But ask me again when grades come out...

Feel free to PM for more details or any other questions.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Danger Zone wrote:The above is right, but where did basket weaving come from that made it so popular on TLS for this type of thread? Did we steal that from xoxo?

I always heard it about football players. Occasionally they upped it with UNDERWATER basket weaving.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:47 pm

goldeneye wrote:

Good question. It just sounds easy. I guess Communications major would work as well or pottery.

"Underwater Basket Weaving" has been the canonical bullshit/easy degree for decades, so it probably came from that.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Won't matter for law school admissions, and probably won't matter for success in law school.

On the other hand, challenging yourself in undergrad has value outside of those two limited areas.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

"Underwater Basket Weaving" has been the canonical bullshit/easy degree for decades, so it probably came from that.

Idk about you guys, but underwater basket weaving sounds pretty difficult to me...

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 pm

Bajam wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

Idk about you guys, but underwater basket weaving sounds pretty difficult to me...

Came here to say this. Hell, plain old above water basket weaving sounds pretty hard. How the hell do you weave a basket? Definitely harder than memorizing GDP = C + G + I + NX and plugging shit in.

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Fish127 wrote:So I'm about 60 credits or so into my BA, and I have a 3.9 GPA so far. Needless to say, for the most part at least, I've been feeling pretty good about my prospects for law school. Lately though, something has been concerning me. I heard from a few people that for a state college, the place I'm going has a reputation as kind of an easy school. After looking back at all my classes I have to admit, while I haven't exactly been cruising, I have found a lot of the work to be pretty easy. This isn't to say that I haven't been challenged, and I do usually find myself at or near the top of my classes, but I can't help but worry a little bit that I might be having an easier time here than I would at another university.

So my main concern is that if my LSAT score is near the same range as my GPA, and I wind up going to an upper T14 law school, that I'll find myself overwhelmed by the vicious grading curve when competing against people who had the same grades that I did, but attended much more challenging and prestigious universities. Also that I might not really be smart enough for the law school that I get into, if my GPA is higher than it would be at another college. I was just wondering of anybody had any advice on this situation, or perhaps has had similar concerns in the past regarding their own college experience.

If you get a LSAT that doesn't make you a super reverse splitter than you have nothing to worry about. Not the LSAT directly correlates with performance in law school but if you get a sub 160 LSAT you probably are going to struggle with legal analysis a bit. My UG major was easy and at a state school with basically no admission standards and I am doing well in law school (my LSAT GPA were at/below median for my school). No worries kill the LSAT, go to the best school you can and work your ass off you will be fine.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:20 am

samcro_op wrote:
Fish127 wrote:So I'm about 60 credits or so into my BA, and I have a 3.9 GPA so far. Needless to say, for the most part at least, I've been feeling pretty good about my prospects for law school. Lately though, something has been concerning me. I heard from a few people that for a state college, the place I'm going has a reputation as kind of an easy school. After looking back at all my classes I have to admit, while I haven't exactly been cruising, I have found a lot of the work to be pretty easy. This isn't to say that I haven't been challenged, and I do usually find myself at or near the top of my classes, but I can't help but worry a little bit that I might be having an easier time here than I would at another university.

If you get a LSAT that doesn't make you a super reverse splitter than you have nothing to worry about. Not the LSAT directly correlates with performance in law school but if you get a sub 160 LSAT you probably are going to struggle with legal analysis a bit. My UG major was easy and at a state school with basically no admission standards and I am doing well in law school (my LSAT GPA were at/below median for my school). No worries kill the LSAT, go to the best school you can and work your ass off you will be fine.

The lsat actually does correlate with 1l grades pretty well

samcro_op

Postby samcro_op » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 am

Clearly wrote:
samcro_op wrote:

Data? Mostly because I am curious.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:19 am

samcro_op wrote:
Clearly wrote:
samcro_op wrote:

Data? Mostly because I am curious.
http://lawschool.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=lawschool&cdn=education&tm=34&f=00&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=4&bts=4&zu=http%3A//www.law.berkeley.edu/files/LSACREPORTfinal-12.pdf

Return to “Law School FAQ”