Question about GPA Undergrad & Graduate School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Clearly

Re: Question about GPA Undergrad & Graduate School

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Clearly wrote:LOL. Do you realize the type of life altering disappointment you can bring to someone with your BS? 2.8s don't get into Columbia Law, not with a 180, not with a great soft, and not with a masters in anything. Why set someone up for that disappointment. Northwestern is a great school, and they'll go sub-3 for an above median LSAT. Do that.

Please provide some proof/validity to your post.
Since you are an adcomm.

Another super smug twenty-something year old
1. who has never worked a professional position for over 2+ years
2. Never lived alone

You are a child just spreading assumptions of what you think schools are looking for.

Adcomms are looking for people who are employable after graduation, and so many of you on this board ARE NOT!

A lawyer, AND a psychic! Actually you're wrong on all three accounts.

Would it make you feel better if I did bring some adcomms to the discussion?

drevo

Postby drevo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Another super smug twenty-something year old
2. Never lived alone

Because this discredits hard data from real previous applicants right?

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Clearly wrote:LOL. Do you realize the type of life altering disappointment you can bring to someone with your BS? 2.8s don't get into Columbia Law, not with a 180, not with a great soft, and not with a masters in anything. Why set someone up for that disappointment. Northwestern is a great school, and they'll go sub-3 for an above median LSAT. Do that.

Since you are an adcomm.

2. Never lived alone

You are a child just spreading assumptions of what you think schools are looking for.

Adcomms are looking for people who are employable after graduation, and so many of you on this board ARE NOT!

Adcomms are looking first and foremost for GPAs and LSATs to keep up their medians in the ranking calculations. Then they can worry about everything else.

Maybe this person will be the exception who gets into Columbia with a 2.8 GPA, but people here give advice based on likely outcomes.

Advising someone to spend a lot of money on masters' degrees in which they've expressed no interest purely so they can be more competitive after they go to law school is not very helpful. So yes, people should be careful reading the advice here.

For someone who is posting on law school forum, and presumably is either a law school student or intends to become a law student, you should learn to read. The OP, is already enrolled in a Master's program. OP made this quite clear from the first post. The OP is inquiring about the possibility of Columbia Law School admission and how the master's degree may factor.

Just like I said, BEING CAREFUL of:
1. People who do not read

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm

As12321 wrote:With that said, I entered into Graduate Studies at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to receive my Masters in the Art of Teaching.

Legacy Rabbit wrote:However, have you considered moving in the direction of maybe MIS or maybe an MBA from your school? These degrees would really make you stand out during OCI.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Advising someone to spend a lot of money on masters' degrees in which they've expressed no interest purely so they can be more competitive after they go to law school is not very helpful.

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Herp derp

inb4 Legacy throws another temper tantrum and starts insulting me for being in my twenties
Last edited by 03152016 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drevo

Postby drevo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:

Since you are an adcomm.

2. Never lived alone

Adcomms are looking first and foremost for GPAs and LSATs to keep up their medians in the ranking calculations. Then they can worry about everything else.

Maybe this person will be the exception who gets into Columbia with a 2.8 GPA, but people here give advice based on likely outcomes.

Advising someone to spend a lot of money on masters' degrees in which they've expressed no interest purely so they can be more competitive after they go to law school is not very helpful. So yes, people should be careful reading the advice here.

For someone who is posting on law school forum, and presumably is either a law school student or intends to become a law student, you should learn to read. The OP, is already enrolled in a Master's program. OP made this quite clear from the first post. The OP is inquiring about the possibility of Columbia Law School admission and how the master's degree may factor.

Also be CAREFUL of:
1. People who blatantly ignore historical data.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:27 pm

drevo wrote:
2. Never lived alone

Please share this data of all previous Columbia Law school applicants. Since of course you are adcomm and have access to such information. If I am wrong, and the OP does not have a chance in HELL of admission on the sole factor of 2.8 GPA, and
regardless if OP adds in work experience, The master's degree, and a 169+ LSAT. Please provide data that states otherwise. The hard data from real previous applicants.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Max324 wrote:
As12321 wrote:With that said, I entered into Graduate Studies at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut to receive my Masters in the Art of Teaching.

Legacy Rabbit wrote:However, have you considered moving in the direction of maybe MIS or maybe an MBA from your school? These degrees would really make you stand out during OCI.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Advising someone to spend a lot of money on masters' degrees in which they've expressed no interest purely so they can be more competitive after they go to law school is not very helpful.

inb4 Legacy throws another temper tantrum and starts insulting me for being in my twenties

I am in my twenties, which is not an excuse to be so presumptive about someone else's application cycle. Firm's are looking for diversity, and I am not speaking race, but background. You can run a quick search on this site on law student's at various stages and fresh grades who are striking out hard during OCI. A diverse background prior to law school like a master's degree, or reputable work experience is a strong bump not just in admission but OCI. Ifyou do not know this, you are already in trouble.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Max324 wrote:

I am in my twenties, which is not an excuse to be so presumptive about someone else's application cycle. Firm's are looking for diversity, and I am not speaking race, but background. You can run a quick search on this site on law student's at various stages and fresh grades who are striking out hard during OCI. A diverse background prior to law school like a master's degree, or reputable work experience is a strong bump not just in admission but OCI. Ifyou do not know this, you are already in trouble.

You're moving the goalposts. The thread is about admissions chances, not OCI.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Max324 wrote:

My overly aggressive bro, where did you attend school? And when did you graduate?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
drevo wrote:
2. Never lived alone

Please share this data of all previous Columbia Law school applicants. Since of course you are adcomm and have access to such information. If I am wrong, and the OP does not have a chance in HELL of admission on the sole factor of 2.8 GPA, and
regardless if OP adds in work experience, The master's degree, and a 169+ LSAT. Please provide data that states otherwise. The hard data from real previous applicants.

2003-2014

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
drevo wrote:
2. Never lived alone

[url]mylsn.com[/url]

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:For someone who is posting on law school forum, and presumably is either a law school student or intends to become a law student, you should learn to read. The OP, is already enrolled in a Master's program. OP made this quite clear from the first post. The OP is inquiring about the possibility of Columbia Law School admission and how the master's degree may factor.

Actually, I'm a practicing lawyer (though clearly I have no life because I post here). The OP is not enrolled in an MBA or an MIS program and if you know anything about master's programs, you would know they're fairly specialized and an MAT would not transfer in any way to an MBA or an MIS. As for diversity, I'm old enough to be most posters' mother, and that with my PhD got me into every program where my GPA/LSAT were competitive and none where they weren't.

drevo

Postby drevo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Clearly wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Please share this data of all previous Columbia Law school applicants. Since of course you are adcomm and have access to such information. If I am wrong, and the OP does not have a chance in HELL of admission on the sole factor of 2.8 GPA, and

2003-2014

Any questions? And you are right Legacy Rabbit, I cannot prove that there has never been one person admitted to CLS with a 2.8, but the same can be said with anything, doesn't disprove the statistics.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Lol@ believing something an adcom would say.

I had a 3.8/169, work experience, and a masters and I had zero chance at Columbia. Come on bro, they don't accept 2.8s unless maybe the candidate provides something extraordinary. Getting an MBA isn't extraordinary in the slightest.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:15 pm

drevo wrote:
Clearly wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Please share this data of all previous Columbia Law school applicants. Since of course you are adcomm and have access to such information. If I am wrong, and the OP does not have a chance in HELL of admission on the sole factor of 2.8 GPA, and

Any questions? And you are right Legacy Rabbit, I cannot prove that there has never been one person admitted to CLS with a 2.8, but the same can be said with anything, doesn't disprove the statistics.

Right, you have not and cannot prove that a 2.8 GPA has never been admitted to Columbia. Provide that proof. Your graph does not in any was disprove a single thing I stated. I hope you had fun searching, cutting, pasting that graph. Kudos to you.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
drevo wrote:
Clearly wrote:

Right, you have not and cannot prove that a 2.8 GPA has never been admitted to Columbia. Provide that proof. Your graph does not in any was disprove a single thing I stated. I hope you had fun searching, cutting, pasting that graph. Kudos to you.

Alright, now you're trolling. The burden of what are my chances threads are now "If you can't prove it wrong"...Why not tell him to go to Harvard? Or skip school entirely and become ruler of the world?

Also, can you answer my questions? I'm curious how long ago you swept OCI, and from what school, with your vast life experience.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote: Your graph does not in any was disprove a single thing I stated.

You said a 169+ would make OP "quite competitive"

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 pm

BigZuck wrote:Lol@ believing something an adcom would say.

I had a 3.8/169, work experience, and a masters and I had zero chance at Columbia. Come on bro, they don't accept 2.8s unless maybe the candidate provides something extraordinary. Getting an MBA isn't extraordinary in the slightest.

Dude, if the OP wants Columbia, and factors that the LSAT is the foundation for the application to even be reviewed. Add in the background that I have already mentioned. If the OP sets the site's on Columbia, and properly engages in due diligence, i.e. school visits, interviewing, the necessary network connections. There is a possibility. There is at least a chance. Nobody can prove OP has no chance (if and only if the LSAT is right).

and...
I had a 3.8/169, work experience, and a masters and I had zero chance at Columbia
Did you want to go? Did you visit? What type of networking did you engage in? What is up with your resume? Heck, what happened with your application as a whole (if you applied). There are a number of questions to ask why 3.8 GPA; 169 LSAT, and a master's has no chance at Columbia.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Nova wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote: Your graph does not in any was disprove a single thing I stated.

Along With the other factors that I listed. The LSAT at least allows the application to be reviewed.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:

Dude, if the OP wants Columbia, and factors that the LSAT is the foundation for the application to even be reviewed. Add in the background that I have already mentioned. If the OP sets the site's on Columbia, and properly engages in due diligence, i.e. school visits, interviewing, the necessary network connections. There is a possibility. There is at least a chance. Nobody can prove OP has no chance (if and only if the LSAT is right).

and...
I had a 3.8/169, work experience, and a masters and I had zero chance at Columbia
Did you want to go? Did you visit? What type of networking did you engage in? What is up with your resume? Heck, what happened with your application as a whole (if you applied). There are a number of questions to ask why 3.8 GPA; 169 LSAT, and a master's has no chance at Columbia.

My application as a whole was thrown into the garbage with all the other non-URM 169/3.8s

Overall, my cycle went as well as could be expected for someone with those numbers. Those numbers just don't get in to Columbia. GPAs which are a hell of a lot lower definitely don't get in to Columbia barring something extraordinary which the OP cannot bring to the table.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Nova wrote:

Along With the other factors that I listed. The LSAT at least allows the application to be reviewed.

wut

Pretty sure clicking submit and paying the app fee is all that is needed to allow the application to be reviewed.

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Alright, now you're trolling. The burden of what are my chances threads are now "If you can't prove it wrong"...Why not tell him to go to Harvard? Or skip school entirely and become ruler of the world?

Also, can you answer my questions? I'm curious how long ago you swept OCI, and from what school, with your vast life experience.[/quote]

Share your work background. Your resume. Your education background. You are disproving me. You are stating a definite no, while I am saying it is a possibility (with the LSAT, first and foremost). If I am so damn wrong then prove it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:

and...

Seriously tho, didn't you go part time?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Legacy is making the claim that 2.8/169 + masters is "competitive" for Columbia. As the one making the claim, he/she has the burden of proof. Why are we arguing things that have been settled for millennia?

I'm suspecting troll as well. Maybe John1990 is evading his ban with an alt?

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Nova wrote:

wut

Pretty sure clicking submit and paying the app fee is all that is needed to allow the application to be reviewed.

Adcomms will review the LSAT, we know this. If the LSAT fits the median, they continue. Again, all I am stating is that there is a possibility. No one on this board has even reviewed the application. It is presumptive to jump with such little info. Certainty is not 100 percent / non definitive.

Return to “Law School FAQ”