Please help. 3.7 GPA 150 LSAT Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
harold18

New

Please help. 3.7 GPA 150 LSAT

Post by harold18 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

I'm mildly lost right now. My GPA is above the 75th percentile at some of the schools I'm looking at like GA State and Tulane by a solid margin, but below their 25th percentile for LSAT. For other schools I'm looking at like UGA and my GPA is above their 50th percentile but still below their 25th LSAT percentile. I'm contemplating taking it in February for the 3rd time, but realize that limits my chances of gaining acceptance. Please Please any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

indo

Bronze

Re: Please help. 3.7 GPA 150 LSAT

Post by indo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:34 am

harold18 wrote:I'm mildly lost right now. My GPA is above the 75th percentile at some of the schools I'm looking at like GA State and Tulane by a solid margin, but below their 25th percentile for LSAT. For other schools I'm looking at like UGA and my GPA is above their 50th percentile but still below their 25th LSAT percentile. I'm contemplating taking it in February for the 3rd time, but realize that limits my chances of gaining acceptance. Please Please any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Retake in June 2014 and get a better score.

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Retake is the only answer here.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Retaking the LSAT could make you easily competitive for T14 with tons of cash at strong regional schools in your market.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Retaking does not limit t make your chances of acceptance. Retaking should only increase your chance of acceptance. make sure you are studying correctly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

harold18

New

Post by harold18 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 pm

What I meant by retaking it limiting my chances of getting in is that that there would be less spots open for admission in March compared to now. I was scoring in the 156-162 range on my practice tests, but can't break 150 on the actual test. Very frustrating.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:50 pm

My biggest regret in the scope of law school admissions is retaking in Feb. Not only did my under-prepared score close out my current cycle, it's also proving to wreck this cycle (since I can't retake until June).

Realize you're not going to law school this year, retake the LSAT in June/October, come back next year.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I hate the people on here that suggest a retake for every situation, but in this case you do need to sit this cycle out and retake. Your GPA is to good to waste on paying sticker at Tulane. If you've taken the LSAT twice already, you probably aren't going to score above 160 the third time but you've just got to study hard and try to get to the mid 150's so you can get a nice scholarship from Tulane or GA St. LSAT is the biggest thing law schools admissions officers look at.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 pm

retake in June or October

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:I hate the people on here that suggest a retake for every situation
Yeah, it's pretty pointless. I mean, it's only a three digit number that directly correlates with tens, if not hundreds of thousands less debt at graduation. Frigging TLS and its insistence to study for the easiest test in the world to study for.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:51 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:I hate the people on here that suggest a retake for every situation
Yeah, it's pretty pointless. I mean, it's only a three digit number that directly correlates with tens, if not hundreds of thousands less debt at graduation. Frigging TLS and its insistence to study for the easiest test in the world to study for.
lawl. +1

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:42 am

I'm not disagreeing with you but if that is your solution to every single question all the time it just becomes white noise at some point. OP has taken it twice. He/she isn't going to take it a third time and magically jump from a 150 to a 168.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you but if that is your solution to every single question all the time it just becomes white noise at some point. OP has taken it twice. He/she isn't going to take it a third time and magically jump from a 150 to a 168.
Obviously op wont "magically" jump. It takes a lot of work and a lot of prep. But retaking is legit like 99% of the time TCR because of schools taking the highest. If people aren't maxing out their potential and have a retake available, these people are potentially losing thousands of dollars in scholarships and/or fighting an uphill battle against medians. 150 isn't gonna get OP anywhere so if the solution isn't retaking it should be don't go to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you but if that is your solution to every single question all the time it just becomes white noise at some point. OP has taken it twice. He/she isn't going to take it a third time and magically jump from a 150 to a 168.
Its not magic friend, plenty of people increase on third take, myself included.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:49 am

White noise? What should we do, just not respond and wait for some tard to come in and say "Oh yeah, just go to a TTTT and transfer to Harvard EZ game!!!" and that's all that the OP ever sees?

Come on bro.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:50 am

BigZuck wrote:
White noise? What should we do, just not respond and wait for some tard to come in and say "Oh yeah, just go to a TTTT and transfer to Harvard EZ game!!!" and that's all that the OP ever sees?

Come on bro.
+1

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:57 am

In this situation sure it's an obvious retake situation. But we've all seen situations where that isn't going to do any good and it's suggested anyway. That's all I'm saying. I'm glad some of you were able to improve substantially on the third try. Wasn't trying to stir up any controversy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:In this situation sure it's an obvious retake situation. But we've all seen situations where that isn't going to do any good and it's suggested anyway. That's all I'm saying. I'm glad some of you were able to improve substantially on the third try. Wasn't trying to stir up any controversy.
I understand what you were saying, and I think that most other did too. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of times OP's of threads like this aren't TLS regulars, and so "retake" isn't rote to them. Additionally, threads like this will get hits from random google searches. This advice is only routine for TLS'rs. Seriously like 9/10 pre law advisors and definitely boomers and parents will advise against retakes in almost all circumstances.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 am

The vast, vast majority of TLS readers are actually guest lurkers.

I mean, right now there are five unregistered guests reading this forum and only one other actual user.

PalmBay

Bronze

Post by PalmBay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Take a year off and really commit to studying. Then take it again.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Good points twenty and Pheumonia. Have no problem admitting when I'm wrong and I wasn't thinking about that aspect of it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:In this situation sure it's an obvious retake situation. But we've all seen situations where that isn't going to do any good and it's suggested anyway. That's all I'm saying. I'm glad some of you were able to improve substantially on the third try. Wasn't trying to stir up any controversy.
I understand what you were saying, and I think that most other did too. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of times OP's of threads like this aren't TLS regulars, and so "retake" isn't rote to them. Additionally, threads like this will get hits from random google searches. This advice is only routine for TLS'rs. Seriously like 9/10 pre law advisors and definitely boomers and parents will advise against retakes in almost all circumstances.
This is a solid point and I agree but I would add that just posting "retake" isn't going to convince any of these non-TLSers. I think sometime we get so tired of threads where retaking is clearly the answer that we get too curt and don't elaborate on why retaking is the answer. A lot of people come to TLS with very distorted views about the law school application process and filled with ideas instilled by their boomer parents. A discussion about just how important the LSAT actually is to admissions is probably more helpful then twenty posts just saying "retake". We run the risk of just coming across as elitists assholes rather than honestly trying to help people from making huge mistakes out of ignorance. Not saying anything about this thread in particular, which has addressed these points, but it is a trend on TLS to not explain why someone should retake.

That sad, OP, please retake. No matter what your goals are, retaking is going to give you the best outcomes especially given that GPA. If you want Biglaw/clerkships then shoot for maximizing that LSAT and getting into a T14. If you have a job lined up or just want to work in a small firm in a specific region then research the best regional school in that area, get above their 75th percentiles, and rake in the scholarship money. But don't try and make the Feb test; it's not enough time to properly prepare and you'll be applying too late in the cycle for your best possible results. Have you looked at some of the LSAT prep materials here on TLS? We have some great advice on how to maximize you score and there are a lot of people like you who took multiple tests before they were satisfied with their scores who could offer advice. Good luck!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 pm

kershka wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
This is a solid point and I agree but I would add that just posting "retake" isn't going to convince any of these non-TLSers. I think sometime we get so tired of threads where retaking is clearly the answer that we get too curt and don't elaborate on why retaking is the answer. A lot of people come to TLS with very distorted views about the law school application process and filled with ideas instilled by their boomer parents. A discussion about just how important the LSAT actually is to admissions is probably more helpful then twenty posts just saying "retake". We run the risk of just coming across as elitists assholes rather than honestly trying to help people from making huge mistakes out of ignorance. Not saying anything about this thread in particular, which has addressed these points, but it is a trend on TLS to not explain why someone should retake.

That sad, OP, please retake. No matter what your goals are, retaking is going to give you the best outcomes especially given that GPA. If you want Biglaw/clerkships then shoot for maximizing that LSAT and getting into a T14. If you have a job lined up or just want to work in a small firm in a specific region then research the best regional school in that area, get above their 75th percentiles, and rake in the scholarship money. But don't try and make the Feb test; it's not enough time to properly prepare and you'll be applying too late in the cycle for your best possible results. Have you looked at some of the LSAT prep materials here on TLS? We have some great advice on how to maximize you score and there are a lot of people like you who took multiple tests before they were satisfied with their scores who could offer advice. Good luck!
It doesn't take a whole lot of digging to see why retake is the answer. It's spelled out in most threads. If someone wants to casually click over to TLS, sees one Retake comment and shuts down and continues on their merry way to Cooley (or some other bad school) then that's not on us. If someone is too dense to stop and think "Why are they telling him to retake?" and can't bother to read a couple more posts or threads then I'm afraid that they are doomed anyway.

Some of the most curt posters around here (I'm thinking specifically someone like rad lulz) are legitimately T3 (or better) most helpful posters and quite literally have probably saved people's (economic) lives. I'm not going to expect the guy to write a treatise on why retaking is the best option every single time he posts.

Although if we all wanted to consciously adopt Clearly's "TLS: Just Retake" image I might be down with that. It's thorough, and doesn't take a lot of time to post.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

kershka wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

That's why I made this

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kershka wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

It doesn't take a whole lot of digging to see why retake is the answer. It's spelled out in most threads. If someone wants to casually click over to TLS, sees one Retake comment and shuts down and continues on their merry way to Cooley (or some other bad school) then that's not on us. If someone is too dense to stop and think "Why are they telling him to retake?" and can't bother to read a couple more posts or threads then I'm afraid that they are doomed anyway.

Some of the most curt posters around here (I'm thinking specifically someone like rad lulz) are legitimately T3 (or better) most helpful posters and quite literally have probably saved people's (economic) lives. I'm not going to expect the guy to write a treatise on why retaking is the best option every single time he posts.

Although if we all wanted to consciously adopt Clearly's "TLS: Just Retake" image I might be down with that. It's thorough, and doesn't take a lot of time to post.
LOL didn't see this till after I posted. I appreciate the support. If other people want to start using it, I can edit it to make it more thorough and nice. I do agree with some things he said, occasionally the good advice like retake is cloaked in a thick layer of asshole, I try to avoid that because I was one of the people who's lives were saved by the retake advice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”