Career in Professional Sports Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
meangreen15

New

Career in Professional Sports

Post by meangreen15 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 am

Hello,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of undergrad and I am hoping for help deciding whether or not I should pursue admission into Law School.

I would like to work in the front office of a professional sports team and I am not sure if having a JD could aid my pursuit. I have heard of many major league executives and team general managers that have a JD but I am not sure if it is worth it to get one. I currently have an opportunity to intern for an NBA owner so I thought that the experience coupled with the contract and legal knowledge could help me have an advantage in my field.

Any feedback is very appreciated. Thank you!

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: Career in Professional Sports

Post by twenty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Law school would be a terrific waste of time right now. Work your way up, do an overpriced part time evening program when having a law degree becomes relevant in 10-20 years.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:41 am

The chances of someone who has much experience in professional sports reading this thread is low, so I'd second RedShift and talk to your boss at this internship and ask around elsewhere in the industry. My guess is that no, unless you want to be a sports lawyer, a law degree isn't going to be worth the investment. But I have no clue.

PalmBay

Bronze

Post by PalmBay » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 am

I'd imagine it's all about who you know. So what's more important is making connections and getting your foot in the door, even if you have to start really low.
Unless you're doing legal work that requires a legal degree, having a J.D. probably won't make a huge impact. A law degree, though, seems to carry a lot of clout in our society and is somewhat of a prestigious thing to have on your resume.

So it certainly won't hurt at all. I think people with law degrees DO have a lot of opportunities outside the legal field simply due to the fact that having a legal degree is still regarded as a great accomplishment and I'm sure many employers would be thrilled to see that on a resume.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:04 pm

You probably could use a law degree, but not anywhere near yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”