This may be a stupid question... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
BankruptMe

Silver

This may be a stupid question...

Post by BankruptMe » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Can you apply to law school before taking the LSAT?

I am taking the Feb. LSAT. This winter break is the only time I will have to apply for law school, so I am applying for a range of schools. However, if your LORs and PS is done, can you apply and pay the fee and then the schools just wait to receive the score?

Nova

Platinum

Re: This may be a stupid question...

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Yes

Black Hat

Bronze

Post by Black Hat » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:31 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Can you apply to law school before taking the LSAT?

I am taking the Feb. LSAT. This winter break is the only time I will have to apply for law school, so I am applying for a range of schools. However, if your LORs and PS is done, can you apply and pay the fee and then the schools just wait to receive the score?
Yes you can, (I did) but it may be a good idea to get in contact with the admissions departments and let them know that is what you are doing. They may contact you when you apply without a LSAT.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Yes but you won't get any decisions and may be wasting money applying to schools that either A. your LSAT is not good enough to consider you, or B. your LSAT is strong enough that you shouldn't be considering them.

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Yes but you won't get any decisions and may be wasting money applying to schools that either A. your LSAT is not good enough to consider you, or B. your LSAT is strong enough that you shouldn't be considering them.

this is actually a really important consideration (for most people). Apps are expensive, and unless you've done a ton of solid prep and have several pretests in a very narrow score band and have other standardized tests as a strong indicator of your ability to perform as expected in high-pressure situations, you really have no way of knowing what your score will be. obviously the above was a lame attempt at humor and maybe shouldn't be taken all too seriously, but the point is that it's hard if not impossible to predict your score and a few points often completely changes your target schools.

Another thing to consider: In my experience, most schools worth going to either a) don't accept the feb. lsat; or b) aren't worth attending with the feb. lsat because all the scholly money is gone.

Then again, THIS YEAR (and possibly only this year), harvard is accepting apps through march 1st and will also accept the feb. lsat for first time testers. No idea if this is the beginning of a trend, but it's good to know nonetheless! So, that's an option for you, hopefully... :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Actually was sincere. Applying to 20-30 schools can be expensive even if you have lots of fee waivers. I was saying the same thing as you, albeit, not as well.

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:40 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Actually was sincere. Applying to 20-30 schools can be expensive even if you have lots of fee waivers. I was saying the same thing as you, albeit, not as well.
Ahhh! Noooooo!!

I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that "the above" was lame humor in that YOUR comment was lame humor, I meant that my "unless you d X and Y and Z, you can't predict your score" was meant as lame humor because it was offering these incredibly strict and almost impossible criteria. I meant directly above, not the post above.

Totally understandable how you made the assumption that I was taking about your comment. RC win, writing fail.

My bad, friend. Carry on...

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Lol. Ok, I get it now. My fault.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”