Made a B- in UG Business Law class - Law school prospects?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
owenshaw

Made a B- in UG Business Law class - Law school prospects?

Postby owenshaw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:43 am

Hey guys,

I am currently a third year business student and we are required to take a business law course as part of the curriculum and I received a B- in the class. I don't intend to apply K-JD route but instead take a few years to work and then join after that to get into a solid JD/MBA program (Northwestern is my ideal goal). How badly does this hurt future law school prospects since its a law related class?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Ron Mexico

Re: Made a B- in UG Business Law class - Law school prospects?

Postby Ron Mexico » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:45 am

Auto-reject from every T-50 school

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 am

mylsn.info

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 am

adcomms don't care what classes you take

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:48 am

It only hurts to the extent that it hurts your GPA. The fact that it's law related means nothing.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 am

What did it do to your GPA?

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:02 am

Also, do you have an LSAT score?

owenshaw

Postby owenshaw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:42 pm

My gpa didn't go down or up this term overall but stayed the same at a 3.25. Planning to take the LSAT next fall

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:54 pm

owenshaw wrote:Hey guys,

I am currently a third year business student and we are required to take a business law course as part of the curriculum and I received a B- in the class. I don't intend to apply K-JD route but instead take a few years to work and then join after that to get into a solid JD/MBA program (Northwestern is my ideal goal). How badly does this hurt future law school prospects since its a law related class?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I remember when I started my 2nd semester of 1L and a few kids had declared that they took Con Law in UG and so they were well-prepared for law school's con law class.

You know how this worked out. These classes mean about as much as any other class...very little this side of the grade itself. Work on that GPA. Also reconsider the MBA (or JD) - both are rarely useful together unless you have a real plan.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:37 pm

owenshaw wrote:My gpa didn't go down or up this term overall but stayed the same at a 3.25. Planning to take the LSAT next fall

The Median GPA at NU is like 3.75, you may want to work on bringing yours up if that is your goal. But this one grade will not have an effect on your chances any more than that it is just not a very good grade. Do not worry about what class it was in.

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
owenshaw wrote:My gpa didn't go down or up this term overall but stayed the same at a 3.25. Planning to take the LSAT next fall

The Median GPA at NU is like 3.75, you may want to work on bringing yours up if that is your goal. But this one grade will not have an effect on your chances any more than that it is just not a very good grade. Do not worry about what class it was in.

NU is one of the most splitter friendly schools in the T14. It would be more efficient to spend extra time on getting a 170+ on the LSAT.

Carlo Von Sexron

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Not the end of the world for OP, provided he bumps up his GPA during his final year and does well on the LSAT. Since he's going the non-trad route, his work experience might go in his favor, if it's meaningful (or at least he's able to spin it right on the resume). I agree with what people said about ad comms not caring what classes you take in undergrad.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:20 pm

B- is just a bad grade. The adcoms might see it and wonder, but I doubt it will make much of a difference. I read my entire business law book and got 2 A's in upper level law classes from memory afterward.
Did you at least like the class? If you do not like business law now you will not like it in law school and I'm guessing your a business major

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:21 pm

john1990 wrote: I'm guessing your a business major

owenshaw wrote: I am currently a third year business student

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:Auto-reject from every T-50 school

rad lulz wrote:mylsn.info

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 pm

notalobbyist wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

NU is one of the most splitter friendly schools in the T14. It would be more efficient to spend extra time on getting a 170+ on the LSAT.

This is terrible, terrible advice. Of course OP needs a great LSAT, but he is still in undergrad. He needs to boost the GPA. It's never too late to get a good LSAT, but raising the GPA could be the difference between getting in to NU and getting a 5-figure discount to NU. He boosts that GPA to a 3.5 or a 3.6 and he could be in the running for that ED scholly.

Raise the GPA while you can OP, then study the LSAT until you can break into the 170's.

Return to “Law School FAQ”