Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
Lord Flashheart
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby Lord Flashheart » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 am

It may sound like a strange question, but I've heard people talking about this and I keep getting conflicting information. Does anyone know for sure whether law professors have to be admitted to the bar? I'd imagine they don't, unless they practice first, obviously, but I can't find anything conclusive either way.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

There are law professors who don't even have law degrees.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:18 am

Lord Flashheart wrote:It may sound like a strange question, but I've heard people talking about this and I keep getting conflicting information. Does anyone know for sure whether law professors have to be admitted to the bar? I'd imagine they don't, unless they practice first, obviously, but I can't find anything conclusive either way.


In New Jersey, I believe there's a special waiver rule.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 am

No

SPerez
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby SPerez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Clinical professors would have to be licensed in the jurisdiction, I imagine.

Dean Perez

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:There are law professors who don't even have law degrees.


This. A couple of profs at my school have PhDs or LLMs rather than JDs.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:46 pm

No. Remember when Kathleen Sullivan failed the Bar exam when leaving Stanford for private practice?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Do Law Professors Have to Take the Bar Exam?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:16 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
Lord Flashheart wrote:It may sound like a strange question, but I've heard people talking about this and I keep getting conflicting information. Does anyone know for sure whether law professors have to be admitted to the bar? I'd imagine they don't, unless they practice first, obviously, but I can't find anything conclusive either way.


In New Jersey, I believe there's a special waiver rule.

wrong way around.... there's no requirement to teach, but a law professor who has not been admitted to the bar may represent someone under the special waiver rule




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests