Will this hurt acceptance chances. My stats - 3.2/171 Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
prospective1988

New

Will this hurt acceptance chances. My stats - 3.2/171

Post by prospective1988 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:54 pm

I have taken the LSAT (once) and scored 171. I am not interested in retesting as I figure its a gamble, and I might score lower then 171 the second time.

My grade point average is a 3.2. (LSAC gpa) and have already graduated so its set in stone. My stats are: 171/3.2, which clearly aren't T-14 material, but I thought perhaps I would have a shot outside of T14.

However, there are one or more negative factors of my application that I feel are going to hurt my chances when I apply during the 2014-2015 cycle. Here they are:

1). I took longer then 4 years to graduate. More like 8 years, due to having to work 40 hours a week all through school. And I keep thinking they wont look favorably on that.

2). Another reason it took 8 years in undergrad, was after my 4th year I was dismissed from the University, for grade reasons. The situation was, that usually a student was dismissed if their gpa was below 2.0, but in my case, my gpa was always above 3.0, but they have a rule that you can be dismissed from the University for a year, if you fail to make adequate progress towards the degree regardless of your gpa (i.e. excessive course withdrawals, lots of incompletes) so even though I always had above a 3.0 in undergrad, I have "academic dismissal" printed on my transcript.

LSAC summarized my transcript and its a 3.2/have a 171 LSAT. How will academic dismissal on my transcript hurt me to schools I apply? Has anyone had this, and they still focused on your numbers?

midwest17

Gold

Re: Will this hurt acceptance chances. My stats - 3.2/171

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:54 pm

I don't think the extended time in undergrad will hurt you, as long as you can convince them that you're ready to do law school in 3 years.

Academic dismissal might be a bit trickier, but if you address it well in an addendum you might be able to get past it and still perform as your numbers would predict.

I wouldn't be quite so quick to assume that the T14 is out of the picture. NU and Georgetown have been known to take people with those numbers, especially if you have full-time work experience. But you'd be looking at paying close to sticker there. Retaking for a few more points on the LSAT will help your chances at both of them -- and getting a lower score won't hurt you. Schools look at the highest.

Otherwise, you need to figure out where you want to practice, and then look at schools that place well in that region. I would think that 171 should land you some nice scholarships at good regional schools.

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I think you could easily address both of those in addenda and have it not be a big deal.

Definitely pursue Georgetown and Northwestern. They are very splitter friendly.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm

With a couple of exceptions you have some chance at admission at every school from NYU on down. Good work on the LSAT. Write an addendum for your extra time in school and explain that the dismissal resulted from the same factors and you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”