M.S. Economics or MBA, Prior to Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
johnsondavid10

M.S. Economics or MBA, Prior to Law School

Postby johnsondavid10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I am currently debating on several options to continue my education:

1. Attend a MS Econ Program
2. Get my MBA
3. After getting either of the two, if I should obtain my JD.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is my undergrad GPA. I was focused on anything besides school my freshman year of college, and I'm paying for it now. While my GPA is none too impressive, I scored a 760 on the GMAT. That has given me hope of being accepted into a MBA/MS program, to show that a lot has changed since those; young immature freshman days, and have the opportunity to be admitted to a top-tier law school. Also, this effort is not in all related to the chance of getting accepted to an upper echelon law school. I have a true passion for financial/corporate law, and fill that the MBA/MS will only give me knowledge of the field, as well as an upper hand.

Am I just running in circles, with hopes to escape my flowed past? Will even the largest improvements in my academic performance not out weigh the shortcomings over my undergrad work?

rad lulz

Re: M.S. Economics or MBA, Prior to Law School

Postby rad lulz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:20 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Graduate degrees have a fairly negligible effect on law school admissions, as the undergrad GPA is what the schools report. It could be a compelling soft, particularly if it's in line with what you want to do in law school and you excel in it, but otherwise, don't expect it to compensate for any weaknesses in your app. On the bright side, can't a MS in Economics give you some decent job opportunities? It'd at least be a great platform for a PhD in Economics, where some good job opportunities can come along.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

johnsondavid10 wrote:I am currently debating on several options to continue my education:

2. Get my MBA

The biggest problem I'm having right now is my undergrad GPA. I was focused on anything besides school my freshman year of college, and I'm paying for it now. While my GPA is none too impressive, I scored a 760 on the GMAT. That has given me hope of being accepted into a MBA/MS program, to show that a lot has changed since those; young immature freshman days, and have the opportunity to be admitted to a top-tier law school. Also, this effort is not in all related to the chance of getting accepted to an upper echelon law school. I have a true passion for financial/corporate law, and fill that the MBA/MS will only give me knowledge of the field, as well as an upper hand.

Am I just running in circles, with hopes to escape my flowed past? Will even the largest improvements in my academic performance not out weigh the shortcomings over my undergrad work?

Your GMAT will get you into some great schools, BUT without work experience it can be very difficult to get into top 5 programs. MBA is completely different experience than JD program. Your work experience will be an asset to the program. But with a 760, you have a shot

johnsondavid10

Postby johnsondavid10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:33 pm

I would want to work for an investment bank to help underwrite stocks, set initial sale prices, and help assist in mergers and acquisitions of assets. I studied applied economics as an undergrad, and was drawn to money & banking. That is why I feel I have a need for both a background in law and financial intermediaries (MBA/MS)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:01 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnsondavid10

Postby johnsondavid10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 pm

That's correct, only two years of job experience, and it is not directly related to the field. That is another reason for considering the MS. From what I can tell most university's do not require previous work experience for the MS, and most will substitute the GRE with the GMAT.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:15 am

johnsondavid10 wrote:I am currently debating on several options to continue my education:

2. Get my MBA

The great thing about MBA programs is that they have a huge range for acceptable GPA's. Getting into Harvard with a 3.2 or something isn't too uncommon (and as you go down the business school list people with GPA's in the 2.0's don't have too much trouble either). This is largely because after the GMAT "screening", it's all holistic and subjective and based off a combination of essays, recommendations, and work experience. If you have those things, you stand a strong chance.

Return to “Law School FAQ”