Dilemma - dropping out of masters program

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
avth

Dilemma - dropping out of masters program

Postby avth » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Last edited by avth on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

banjo

Re: Dilemma - dropping out of masters program

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:06 pm

A few quick recommendations:

(1) You won't have 1.5-2 years of emptiness on your resume. Career Services will tell you to put down that you spent a year and a half doing graduate coursework in economics. Employers will inevitably ask what brought you to law school, and you'll have to have some story ready. For this reason alone, I recommend finishing the master's, even if it means returning to the U.S. and working for a year while finishing up your thesis. It's just a better sell.

(2) Whether or not you finish a master's, drop the negativity about your lack of creativity, inability to hack it out, and general discontent. Don't think it, don't say it, and don't let that attitude seep into your personal statement or interviews. Come up with a simple, positive story.

(3) If your numbers aren't T14-worthy, you should plan to retake.

(4) Work experience is a good thing. If you manage to finish your master's and work full-time for a year in a business environment, I think your application will look much better to admissions and, more importantly, employers.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

avth

Postby avth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 am

banjo wrote:Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Thanks so much. I'll send you a message.

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:14 pm

I know you deleted your OP but FYI I matriculated last year having a partial masters so I think that's the boat you are in. I left it off my résumé and played up some other things I did in the off year and it wasn't an issue.

Return to “Law School FAQ”