HELP US EMMIGRATE FROM SWEDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
FlanAl

Re: HELP US EMMIGRATE FROM SWEDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby FlanAl » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 am

Tanash wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Law school is a graduate degree. If you still need a year of college to go to university (is sweden like the UK where "college" is like for 16-19 year olds?) you'll have to get an undergraduate degree before you attend law school. The US does not offer an llb etc..

The Swedish school system is a bit complicated here, High School is equivalent to College there, however, high school here have two different "lines" - one is the social line whereas you can become lawyer, judge, teacher etc. and you have the nature line where you can become doctor, proffesor in math etc.

Basically the lines you choose in HS, pretty much decides what you want to become and is your reference to University.

We read Social line with the profile law and forensics, which means we read more competense for law rather than focusing on science and all that at high school.

Our High School here is pretty much High School and College together in USA.

You're going to need university degrees before applying to law school. The way I explained it to UK students is that in America we basically don't have college. We have high school and then you go to University. A lot of us call university "college" but mostly for colloquial reasons.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:59 pm

OKay, I'll bite.

I'm also an international student. In India, you have school for 13 years and then university for 3 years. Not sure what it's like in Sweden, or how old you are, but you will need to figure out when you will be qualified for a J.D (try google)

I suggest you take the 'social' line of studies, as you will be better prepared for law school this way. Once you graduate (or soon before) you need to study for and take the LSAT. Because you're international, the bar is slightly higher. The LSAT is a multiple choice test that tests logic and reasoning skills. You will need to study, probably extensively, to get a good score. I doubt you will be able to get a visa if you're going to get below a 150/180 (the scores range from 120-180), they typically don't encourage international students to go the bad law schools. You can take the LSAT in Sweden, probably in your nearest big city. It is given 4 times a year, you will need to register online in advance. You won't have to take a certifying exam for english like TOEFL usually, if you're able to take the LSAT chances are your english is decent. Individual schools may vary, but I haven't seem one that says the test is required.

Once you've done all this, you make a list of schools and you apply. After getting accepted, the school you are attending will send you details for getting a student visa so you can study in the states. You will need to fill out the applications forms and appear for an interview at the US embassy. They will look over your papers and ask you a few questions, and will let you know if you've qualified or not. Once you get your visa, you're good to go. The visa is valid for the duration of your schooling (you will be restricted in terms of employment and number of classes you *MUST* take, you will not be able to join any part-time law program), and once it's up you are allowed a OPT, where you are allowed to stay in the US and work for one year. If you're planning to stay beyond that, you will need to find a company that is willing to give you a work visa (this can be difficult). The work visa will allow you to stay in the country while you are working for the company that sponsored you, if you change jobs you will need a new work visa.

Eventually, you can apply for a permanent resident card (green card), which has all the perks of being a citizen except voting and government benefits like unemployment pay. Years later, you will be able to apply for citizenship.

Alternatively, you can get married to some guy you meet in law school and fast-track the green card process. Or you can enter the green card lottery right now (it's a thing, google it)

If you don't want to be a lawyer, I don't suggest going to law school with the purpose of immigrating. Sounds like a pain in the ass. You can do the same thing (student visa-work visa-greencard) in any other field and even at the undergraduate (university) level.

If I were you, I'd get a green card marriage (obviously a back-up plan for me if law school is hard), it's the easiest way to go IF you can find some american boy and fall in love and actually get married. If you're going to fake the whole thing it'll probably be a bust. I suggest going to the touristy part of your country and turning on the charm. Wear heels, remember, no pain no gain.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:33 pm

When are the applications for LSAT open? What is needed for LSAT? What books do we need? How do we even prepare for LSAT?

LSATs occur four times a year. October, December, February, and June. You need to sign up about at least a month in advance.
You need money to sign up for the LSAT, you need photo identification, you need pencils, erasers, and your brain.

The LSAT is the most important factor for getting into law school. Don't rush and take the next LSAT. Take time off from school if you need to. You can find free sample LSAT questions and tests online. You're going to need a strong level of English proficiency.

I do NOT recommend self-study books. Sure, it won't hurt, but if you really want to do well you need to prepare well, and from my experience, things don't click as easily until someone else starts explaining strategies, keywords, red-flags, etc. I recommend an online course with someone like Kaplan. That worked for me. They will send you every past LSAT and plenty of books if you want to self-study. Do NOT underestimate the LSAT. Some people are good at it. Some are not good at it. But I believe all people can get better at it. For some, it'll be easy. For others, a long, arduous process. Since we don't know, we have to assume you're going to need a lot of time, practice, and willpower.

Has anyone done the LSAT and can explain to us how you prepare for it?

See above.

What tests (English tests) are required for Law School?

LSAT.

What kind of Visa is required?

Not sure.

Any college in NY/California we should apply to?

Unfortunately I cannot offer an answer here. Some colleges might be interested in your international status though. See if they will help you with a visa.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:57 pm

PalmBay wrote:I do NOT recommend self-study books. Sure, it won't hurt, but if you really want to do well you need to prepare well, and from my experience, things don't click as easily until someone else starts explaining strategies, keywords, red-flags, etc. I recommend an online course with someone like Kaplan. That worked for me. They will send you every past LSAT and plenty of books if you want to self-study. Do NOT underestimate the LSAT. Some people are good at it. Some are not good at it. But I believe all people can get better at it. For some, it'll be easy. For others, a long, arduous process. Since we don't know, we have to assume you're going to need a lot of time, practice, and willpower.

Don't go with this advice off the bat. For a lot of people, LSAT classes are money down the drain. Try self-study first; if it's not working for you, then maybe look into a class.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:18 pm

stanna i sverige. Amerika är inte en bra plats att leva

Return to “Law School FAQ”