Visiting Schools

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Did you visit schools before accepting their offer?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 18

mirroroferised7

Visiting Schools

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:58 pm

So, I'm applying to all the T20's around New York, Los Angeles, and San Fran. I live in Chicago (applied to the T14's here, too).

I've never been to any of these cities before, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to drop the $1,500 it would take to visit all of these cities for a *brief* (we're talking 1-2 days) visit.
My stats make me a pretty solid "yes" from NYU down. So, having submitted my apps a month ago, do I wait around for decisions/$$$ offers before I visit?

How much of a role is the actual city itself playing in your decision? I know I would be happy practicing law in any of these cities.

Thoughts?

DoveBodyWash

Re: Visiting Schools

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 pm

i would recommend visiting if it's financially feasible. Especially Penn

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 pm

cusenation wrote:i would recommend visiting if it's financially feasible. Especially Penn

Is there something about Penn that's hit or miss with people?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Otunga wrote:
cusenation wrote:i would recommend visiting if it's financially feasible. Especially Penn

eh no this is just from my own personal experience. I applied ED to Penn based on my numbers and the rankings. Changed my mind and switched to RD after (1) visiting and (2) considering borrowing a full loan burden. #2 was probably influenced my decision more, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the area. Schools like Columbia/NYU, Northwestern, Stanford/Berkeley, and Harvard are, i think, easily digestible in terms of the location. But UVA, UChi and Penn, i would argue, should be visited before committing.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:51 pm

cusenation wrote:
Otunga wrote:

eh no this is just from my own personal experience. I applied ED to Penn based on my numbers and the rankings. Changed my mind and switched to RD after (1) visiting and (2) considering borrowing a full loan burden. #2 was probably influenced my decision more, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the area. Schools like Columbia/NYU, Northwestern, Stanford/Berkeley, and Harvard are, i think, easily digestible in terms of the location. But UVA, UChi and Penn, i would argue, should be visited before committing.

You mentioning UVA is interesting. It just appears to be a college town.

I can only speak to Harvard since I'm not far from Cambridge. It's an awesome area. And all the major sports arenas are accessible but you don't have to be anywhere near that clusterfuck.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Otunga wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Otunga wrote:

You mentioning UVA is interesting. It just appears to be a college town.

I can only speak to Harvard since I'm not far from Cambridge. It's an awesome area. And all the major sports arenas are accessible but you don't have to be anywhere near that clusterfuck.

Yea i included UVA because some people might have a hard time adjusting to a smaller college town. I'm originally from Lexington, MA. Oh how i miss Cambridge lol

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Yeah, I applied to Penn and UVA, but solely for the financial aid leverage. I have no intention of attending either school. I've heard they have a frat-ish/bro-y atmosphere. I can't even stand the thought of that. My undergrad Alma Mater banned frats, and didn't have sports teams solely to prevent that attitude.

I'm sticking to NYC, LA, and San Fran schools to avoid a "college town" atmosphere, and because I need to be in a city. I've visited Cambridge, and like it. But, at the same time, Boston is too small for me.

I would recommend visiting Chicago, IN JANUARY, though if UChi or NU are on your list. Because, having been in Chicago for five years, (and trust me, schools do not close for snow.) the winters here will either make or break the city for you.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Lots of us went to state flagships for UG I'm sure, and you can certainly get away from those frat types. In fact, there were areas of campus where there were virtually no frat types where I went. It's all relative of course. Cambridge is urban enough for me, and a UVA or Cornell is more of what I'm accustomed to.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I'd say, unless you're unsure whether or not to apply to one of those schools, I'd until after you get in to visit. If you visit, then don't get it, it's probably just money wasted.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing.

And I am trying to pull together the funds for the trips. I just wondered how many people took trips to schools before putting down the seat deposit.

It sometimes fees like 0Ls are so focused on a school's stats, that they aren't always concerned about location/atmosphere.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing.

And I am trying to pull together the funds for the trips. I just wondered how many people took trips to schools before putting down the seat deposit.

It sometimes fees like 0Ls are so focused on a school's stats, that they aren't always concerned about location/atmosphere.

Because location and atmosphere pale in importance to job prospects and cost. Some schools do provide financial assistance to help you visit for admitted student weekends, so keep that in mind.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I absolutely agree that job prospects and costs come first. I've come to the point where my T5 are almost entirely on an even playing field in those respects, and they are from one of those three cities, so I think the tie breaker will be either:
1) Actual school atmosphere
2) The amount of money they throw at me

But I am definitely waiting for some offer before I travel. It's still fairly cheap to fly in February (as opposed to January, when I had initially planned to make these treks).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Seems like you might as well wait to do your visits on admitted students weekends in March/April. ASWs are fun, you actually learn something about the school, and you can still get a feel for the city.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm getting married/honeymooning in March/April :(

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Cart before horse. Visit after you are admitted.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

If you don't like "fratty, bro-y bros" then you might want to reconsider the whole law as a career thing. I can't imagine that an intolerance of drinking and/or alpha male types (if that's what you mean by fratty) would make for a very happy career as a lawyer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:If you don't like "fratty, bro-y bros" then you might want to reconsider the whole law as a career thing. I can't imagine that an intolerance of drinking and/or alpha male types (if that's what you mean by fratty) would make for a very happy career as a lawyer.

I don't agree with this at all. There are a lot of different kinds of lawyers out there.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:18 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If you don't like "fratty, bro-y bros" then you might want to reconsider the whole law as a career thing. I can't imagine that an intolerance of drinking and/or alpha male types (if that's what you mean by fratty) would make for a very happy career as a lawyer.

I don't agree with this at all. There are a lot of different kinds of lawyers out there.

For sure. And maybe it's a product of where I live/go to school. But if I couldn't get along with the bros I think that wouldn't be a great thing.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 am

BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

For sure. And maybe it's a product of where I live/go to school. But if I couldn't get along with the bros I think that wouldn't be a great thing.

I can get along fratty bros, I just prefer it not be the dominant culture wherever I go to school.

And don't worry, I have yet to meet a fratty bro I can't out-alpha. And I went to art school, I have no problem holding my liquor, and anything else you throw my way.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:29 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I can get along fratty bros, I just prefer it not be the dominant culture wherever I go to school.

And don't worry, I have yet to meet a fratty bro I can't out-alpha. And I went to art school, I have no problem holding my liquor, and anything else you throw my way.

Whatever you mean by "dominant culture" it won't be the dominant culture at any top law school. That's not a very good reason to cross any school off your list.

I don't get why people invent stuff to get worked up over for no reason. Typically it's concern over the political culture of a school but this is another manifestation of that. The world is bigger than just you and there is real stuff to worry about, try not to let your own BS cloud your judgment or keep your eyes off the big picture.

If you don't want to go to Penn or UVA that's fine, but do it because you don't like the area, or its too expensive, or you got into a better school, or because you have to be closer to family somewhere else, whatever. Don't do it because you think, for some reason, that you would prefer the kids at Cornell or Michigan. Whereever you go you'll be surrounded by a wide range of people with a wide range of interests and the social activities will be largely the same.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 am

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
I'm sticking to NYC, LA, and San Fran schools to avoid a "college town" atmosphere, and because I need to be in a city. I've visited Cambridge, and like it. But, at the same time, Boston is too small for me.

Boston's too small for you but SF is fine? Also, you have NYU numbers but are applying to SF schools (Hastings, USF, Golden Gate)??

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 pm

jordan15 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:

Boston's too small for you but SF is fine? Also, you have NYU numbers but are applying to SF schools (Hastings, USF, Golden Gate)??

I've been to Boston, but not San Francisco. That's why I want to know if it's a good idea to travel to these schools. And I'm applying to UC Berkeley, and Stanford, not Hastings, USF, or Golden Gate.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
jordan15 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:

I've been to Boston, but not San Francisco. That's why I want to know if it's a good idea to travel to these schools. And I'm applying to UC Berkeley, and Stanford, not Hastings, USF, or Golden Gate.

Neither of those are in San Francisco, which is about the size of Boston. UC Berkeley is obviously in Berkeley, which is a total college town, and Stanford is in Palo Alto, which is even more of a college town/half suburbs. Have you even looked at them on a map? Why no Chicago?

Return to “Law School FAQ”