Personal Statement/Essays Errors Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NanaP

Bronze

Personal Statement/Essays Errors

Post by NanaP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:50 pm

How much does spelling mistakes hurt your personal statement once it's submitted? Ex: writing lose, instead of loose? or its instead of it's?

Is it worth sending a correction email, or just hope the adcoms don't notice?

NanaP

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement/Essays Errors

Post by NanaP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:30 pm

Bump

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Usually, calling attention to it is worse, because if it's just one or two errors they may not notice.

If your essay is just riddled with stupid errors, it's going to hurt you. You can TRY to bullshit something like "I realized I had submitted the wrong version of my essay, which I had not properly proofread yet, instead of the version saved in a different folder." But you're not going to look awesome either way.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Usually, calling attention to it is worse, because if it's just one or two errors they may not notice.

If your essay is just riddled with stupid errors, it's going to hurt you. You can TRY to bullshit something like "I realized I had submitted the wrong version of my essay, which I had not properly proofread yet, instead of the version saved in a different folder." But you're not going to look awesome either way.

Ok thanks, I submitted one or two essays with a small error, they will probably notice it but I don't think it will hurt me too much, it happens early on in the essay. I hate this, I read it like 2 million times and did't catch it until I send them

daves11

New

Post by daves11 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Yeah it won't really hurt you. I wouldn't worry about it, they're in, there's nothing you can do. Chances are they won't notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:44 pm

This is why I refuse to read anything once its been turned in. I know I'll find some small mistake or awkward phrasing that I wish I could take back but can't.

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:03 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:This is why I refuse to read anything once its been turned in. I know I'll find some small mistake or awkward phrasing that I wish I could take back but can't.

I agree, but I use pretty much the same PS for all schools, so it's hard not to read again. There seems to be something I change each time I read it again....so maybe you're right, I should just stop reading it.....

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:29 pm

I think you'll be fine. We are humans! Just hope these mistakes didn't occur throughout the entire thing.

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:10 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:This is why I refuse to read anything once its been turned in. I know I'll find some small mistake or awkward phrasing that I wish I could take back but can't.
Haha same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”