PolSci Major in Undergrad Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: PolSci Major in Undergrad

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:here beachbum, i did some work for you.

DLA Piper, the #1 firm by gross revenue of the amlaw 100, has 514 associates in the united states, 27 of whom are IP associates. for you stem folks, that's 5.25%. (and yes, i did all that w/o a stem degree...i know, crazy right??)

now beachbum, are you really proposing that it's worth majoring in a stem field in order to compete for that 5.25% of associate positions that are IP-related?

(and yes, perhaps dla piper isn't representative of the entire legal market in the united states...i doubt it, but go ahead and try to prove it if you think you can.)
There are IP-exclusive firms, of course.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:54 pm

SnakySalmon wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
beachbum wrote:America is doing a great disservice by allowing people to major in polisci, English, and philosophy. Or, at least, letting them use government-backed loans to do so. Liberal arts majors: Keep your fluff papers. I want my money back.
Hello There!

Philosophy and Poli Sci Major here....

Thankfully I had one fuck left by the end of the day.
to give to you!

SO YEAH .. FUCK YOU :mrgreen:

Sincerely,
liberal hearts (double) major
Double major? I hear if you double up on the shitty liberal arts degrees they equal one STEM degree so maybe there is a solution after all.
God I hope so
Since you all borrowed from the gov, which means tax payers fronted the big portion of your bill, please share the high salaries you are all making, and your monthly loan repayment Because if I have to pay the tuition bill for a group of pretentious brats to dictate what is a worthy and non worthy degree, all of you better have positions paying more than $60k a year starting.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:04 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Enjoy DLA Piper!
i picked dla piper b/c it is the biggest, but ok, let's do it at wachtell then if you wanna be a prestige whore.

oh wait, wachtell doesn't have an IP practice. that's 0%, for you stem folk.

ok, let's do it at cravath, how many of cravath's 298 associates are in IP? and the answer is...0%.

must be a fluke though. how about sullivan & cromwell? ok, out of its 504 associates, how many are in the IP group? brace yourselves...4. for you stem folk, that's 0.79%.

shall i keep going down the vault list?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:05 am

you're getting whooshed a little bit here, bro

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:06 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:here beachbum, i did some work for you.

DLA Piper, the #1 firm by gross revenue of the amlaw 100, has 514 associates in the united states, 27 of whom are IP associates. for you stem folks, that's 5.25%. (and yes, i did all that w/o a stem degree...i know, crazy right??)

now beachbum, are you really proposing that it's worth majoring in a stem field in order to compete for that 5.25% of associate positions that are IP-related?

(and yes, perhaps dla piper isn't representative of the entire legal market in the united states...i doubt it, but go ahead and try to prove it if you think you can.)
There are IP-exclusive firms, of course.
yes, and there are white collar-exclusive firms, tax-exclusive firms, entertainment-exclusive firms, and litigation-exclusive firms...so what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 am

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Since you all borrowed from the gov, which means tax payers fronted the big portion of your bill, please share the high salaries you are all making, and your monthly loan repayment Because if I have to pay the tuition bill for a group of pretentious brats to dictate what is a worthy and non worthy degree, all of you better have positions paying more than $60k a year starting.
Enough to pay off my loans. Majoring in liberal arts is still dumb.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 am

patogordo wrote:you're getting whooshed a little bit here, bro
A little?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:52 am

are you talking to me or the stem zealots?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:55 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
take a deep breath and re-read the last 10 posts or so

ps i am BSEE, aka the SS of le STEM master race

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:57 am

JS1 today and got asked why polisci. LOL

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 am

yomisterd wrote:JS1 today and got asked why polisci. LOL
Humblebrag to meaningful content ratio reaching lounge proportions.

Join us. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Jesus Christ you're fucking dense.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:

Thank you for the invite, sir.

And just to elaborate, I basically said, "Because experiences and courses and shit." And she said, "Oh very interesting."

LOL DING HERE I COME

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:22 am

yomisterd wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

And just to elaborate, I basically said, "Because experiences and courses and shit." And she said, "Oh very interesting."

LOL DING HERE I COME
Oh I don't care.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 am

Just don't fucking major in PoliSci. Sure, there's that temptation to be like "lawlz, I'm totally going to law school and just wanna take classes that are easy and I'll enjoy to keep my GPA high". Exactly what my dumbass 18 year old thought.

Law School is enough of a joke where you can show zero interest in it your whole Undergrad career then just wake up one morning and take the LSAT and wallah, you'll have schools knocking on your door happy to accept you no matter what classes you took in college.

Major in something that may actually teach you stuff that can apply to some job, so that you don't feel trapped into a corner into going to law school because PoliSci is a worthless as shit degree.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:28 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
yomisterd wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

LOL DING HERE I COME
Oh I don't care.
Neither do I. Can't you tell from our shared disdainful expressions?

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:47 am

Agentsoapbox wrote:I also think that my journalism degree was a soft making me attractive to law schools. There are not many journalism majors that decide to go into law. In my whole school I only know of myself and another girl. Journalism has really helped me with critical thinking too, but also it has taught me to write well (a quality attractive to law schools.)
Can anyone attest to this?

I'm a freshman right now at UW. I've declared for journalism and intend to double with Poli Sci. But this thread has gotten me worried in case I do lose interest in law. My alternative right now would be majoring in English instead of Journalism, but I'm hesitant if I don't absolutely have to, because I'm really not fond of fictional novels and literature (would much rather write with some added social/political component).

How about a major such as International Studies or Comparative Literature? Also as useless as a Poli Sci degree?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:06 am

Fish127 wrote:
1) Did having political science as a major help to prepare you in any way for the LSAT or for Law School in general?

2) Did having political science as a major hurt you in any way? In other words, was it looked down at on a major by selective schools, more specifically T6 and up?

3) Given the choice, would you have chosen something else?
1.No.

2. Major doesn't matter.

3. Yes. Something with better job prospects.

notalobbyist

Bronze

Post by notalobbyist » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:23 am

john7234797 wrote: just wake up one morning and take the LSAT and wallah
The word you're looking for is voilà

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:30 am

sodomojo wrote:
Agentsoapbox wrote:I also think that my journalism degree was a soft making me attractive to law schools. There are not many journalism majors that decide to go into law. In my whole school I only know of myself and another girl. Journalism has really helped me with critical thinking too, but also it has taught me to write well (a quality attractive to law schools.)
Can anyone attest to this?

I'm a freshman right now at UW. I've declared for journalism and intend to double with Poli Sci. But this thread has gotten me worried in case I do lose interest in law. My alternative right now would be majoring in English instead of Journalism, but I'm hesitant if I don't absolutely have to, because I'm really not fond of fictional novels and literature (would much rather write with some added social/political component).

How about a major such as International Studies or Comparative Literature? Also as useless as a Poli Sci degree?
Lol

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 pm

OP, you're probably gone by now, but if you're still poking around, do yourself a huge favor. Take a practice LSAT. See how you do. This will be a great measure of how much of an uphill battle you have for the T14 you want. If you do crap in the games section on your practice test, scrap that section when scoring your test and use one of your LR sections twice. (Games are the easiest to learn.) If you're not at least in the high 150s consider that T14 will be a very difficult challenge. Now consider your major further.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:37 pm

notalobbyist wrote:
john7234797 wrote: just wake up one morning and take the LSAT and wallah
The word you're looking for is voilà
Forgive my ignorance, I majored in political science.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Hello There!

to give to you!

Sincerely,
Double major? I hear if you double up on the shitty liberal arts degrees they equal one STEM degree so maybe there is a solution after all.
God I hope so
Since you all borrowed from the gov, which means tax payers fronted the big portion of your bill, please share the high salaries you are all making, and your monthly loan repayment Because if I have to pay the tuition bill for a group of pretentious brats to dictate what is a worthy and non worthy degree, all of you better have positions paying more than $60k a year starting.
missed this earlier. 7/10 trolling. improvement possible, but would read again.

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:
Hello There!

to give to you!

Sincerely,
God I hope so
I'm not sure where the fuck that's coming from, since the "God I hope so" clearly indicates I also did a social sciences double. And no, I didn't borrow from gov. I was lucky enough to have a fully funded scholarship from my school endowed by someone a long time ago. Not that that has any relevance.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:49 am

SnakySalmon wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Since you all borrowed from the gov, which means tax payers fronted the big portion of your bill, please share the high salaries you are all making, and your monthly loan repayment Because if I have to pay the tuition bill for a group of pretentious brats to dictate what is a worthy and non worthy degree, all of you better have positions paying more than $60k a year starting.
I'm not sure where the fuck that's coming from, since the "God I hope so" clearly indicates I also did a social sciences double. And no, I didn't borrow from gov. I was lucky enough to have a fully funded scholarship from my school endowed by someone a long time ago. Not that that has any relevance.
Yeah but that deceased philanthropist has got to be rolling in his grave.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”