If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
mike21

If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as

Postby mike21 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 am

If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as a certified major

Scotusnerd

Re: If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:23 am

What is a certified major? If it's a bachelor's degree, it could be in basket-weaving for all they care. Wouldn't worry beyond that.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 am

It will not matter at all.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 pm

The only problem with majoring in say criminal justice, is what if you change your mind about law school or the LSAT doesn't go well.

There really isn't much you can do with a criminal justice degree. Smartest thing to do would be to major in computer science. You can take the patent bar exam, most likely get a patent attorney job. Even if you decide not to be an attorney, you'll still have an in demand degree.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Probably more correlation than causation.

Although I'd certainly be unsettled by the correlation if I were considering that major.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm

mike21 wrote:If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as a certified major

Isn't this like your fourth thread with variations of the username "mike21xxx" all on the same topic?

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:25 pm

your LSAT is a function of you, not of your major. And your SAT scores are probably a fairly good indicator of where you will fall for your LSAT. You probably shouldn't expect to score in percentiles significantly above your SAT unless you work really hard at it.

Your GPA is a function of your major and of you.

There are very very few people who would have the same GPA as a Poli Sci major & an Engineering major. I would say that in general the harder the degree, the more useful it would be on its own. However, if you are planning on law school, you should major in something that will allow you to have a high GPA.

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm

And your SAT scores are probably a fairly good indicator of where you will fall for your LSAT. You probably shouldn't expect to score in percentiles significantly above your SAT unless you work really hard at it.

You just burnt the assumptions section of the Logical Reasoning bible.

OP could be a prodigy at logical reasoning
OP may have filled in C for every answer on the SAT.
OP may study hardcore for the LSAT, but feel asleep during the SAT.

Also, the LSAT tests logic. The SAT tests math and verbal. If you would have said SAT is correlated to GRE, that would have made sense.

OP in my honest opinion, major in something worth while. No reason to piss 40K+ away on something you could have learned for a $4.50 card at the library.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:09 pm

DFTT?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Nova wrote:DFTT?

Don't feed the troll(s).

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Nova wrote:DFTT?

Don't feed the troll(s).

I, at least, have an excuse (posted before the other threads were posted). I dunno what y'alls problems are. :P

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Not really responding to the troll, but just for others who come across this thread in the future.

Criminal Justice is one of the majors (kineseology is another) that will hurt you with YHS and at least some of the other T14 schools. Not many people here have both very high LSAT/GPA and CJ as their sole major, but those that have have routinely underperformed their numbers.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Not really responding to the troll, but just for others who come across this thread in the future.

Criminal Justice is one of the majors (kineseology is another) that will hurt you with YHS and at least some of the other T14 schools. Not many people here have both very high LSAT/GPA and CJ as their sole major, but those that have have routinely underperformed their numbers.

Are you basing this off of LSN or do you have another source for this information?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

californiauser wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Not really responding to the troll, but just for others who come across this thread in the future.

Are you basing this off of LSN or do you have another source for this information?

My main source of info is having worked with a large number of applicants as an admissions counselor. I've only worked with a small number of CJ majors, but the ones applying to selective schools have uniformly underperformed their numbers. I've also seen this in evidence from a few TLS members' experiences over the years. I doubt LSN has much info -- though one person does come to mind: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TripTrip. Now things obviously ended up working out perfectly fine for him, and without seeing his apps there's no way to be certain that the CJ major played a major role in his underperforming his numbers. But I feel reasonably safe from experience in guessing it was part of his problems in the T6.

And, from a quick search, it appears TripTrip himself thinks it was a significant issue:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207336&p=6621450&hilit=criminal+justice#p6621450
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=191773&p=6590165&hilit=criminal+justice#p6590165

IpleadtheFiF

Postby IpleadtheFiF » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Bedsole wrote:
mike21 wrote:If i major in criminal justice will law schools accept it as a certified major

Isn't this like your fourth thread with variations of the username "mike21xxx" all on the same topic?

Return to “Law School FAQ”