Could applying late work in your favor?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
withoutapaddle

Could applying late work in your favor?

Postby withoutapaddle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Let's say the school accepts 40% of the applicants. Only 20% accept the offer and matriculate. The school wants to fill the remaining spots that didn't accept the offer of acceptance. Would applying in say February work in your (my) favor in this situation?

wolfgang

Re: Could applying late work in your favor?

Postby wolfgang » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:31 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Let's say the school accepts 40% of the applicants. Only 20% accept the offer and matriculate. The school wants to fill the remaining spots that didn't accept the offer of acceptance. Would applying in say February work in your (my) favor in this situation?

No. There are two things that are working against you if this is your plan.

First, schools don't anticipate all of their acceptances to matriculate. If 100% of accepted students matriculated at a given school, that school would probably be in trouble. They expect and even want some people to matriculate elsewhere.

Second, most schools will go to the waitlist before they will take a late applicant, all else being equal. I mean, if you're a 4.3/180, any school would want you over some splitter joe on the waitlist, but this wouldn't be due to your "late application strategy". If your numbers are set and you're happy with them, apply earlier rather than later, as a later application (again, assuming you don't get a wild intership or retake the lsat or bump your gpa up or something) will only be less likely to get in than an identical earlier app.

If you apply early, and a school thinks they might want you later, they'll waitlist you. If not, you run the risk of being scooped by someone off the waitlist with an identical file who applied early.

RedGiant

Re: Could applying late work in your favor?

Postby RedGiant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:05 pm

withoutapaddle wrote:Let's say the school accepts 40% of the applicants. Only 20% accept the offer and matriculate. The school wants to fill the remaining spots that didn't accept the offer of acceptance. Would applying in say February work in your (my) favor in this situation?

You can't know what's up in any given year, but there were a number of schools in the 2012-13 app cycle who were managing their yields very carefully, and taking late applicants with great stats. So...if you're a late applicant with great stats, you might want to hit up Wash U, Fordham, GW, BC and BU. Otherwise, and given any normal year, the conventional wisdom is to get your app in earlier. Statistically, if they're only going to take so many folks with your stats, then your odds are better earlier. If your stats are off the chart such that you're an autoadmit, well...that's another story. Also note that your stats can't be so far off the charts because some schools yield protect. But honestly, I applied last year on 1/22 and 1/23 to about 25 schools from T14 to T30, got into about half, eventually...some had longish WLs, but it was worth it. I couldn't take the LSAT until December and then I had a medical issue in January, so that's where I was...surgery is not the best when you're trying to get apps out. Did what I could, things ended up fine, yadda yadda.

Return to “Law School FAQ”