Do Senior Grades Matter?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Hat Trick

Do Senior Grades Matter?

Postby Hat Trick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:40 pm

The title says it all. If you plan on applying at the beginning of your senior year, do your senior year grades matter? Thanks in advance.

Teflon_Don

Re: Do Senior Grades Matter?

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm

applied to all t-14 and a few others outside it in Nov... no one saw any of my senior grades

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Yes, because after spending more time lurking around these boards you may end up not going to law school right away.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:58 pm

No, I applied before fall grades Senior year and nobody saw them until I sent in my final transcript when I picked a school.

However, if your grades go up (mine did not) then you might as well update your info in Dec. with any schools you haven't heard back from yet.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Some schools will ask for them. CLS did for me.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:52 pm

They may not matter in the initial decision, but if you decide to bomb your Senior year a school may revoke your admittance. To be safe, first semester senior year grades are muy importante.

hcrimson2014

Postby hcrimson2014 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 am

yomisterd wrote:They may not matter in the initial decision, but if you decide to bomb your Senior year a school may revoke your admittance. To be safe, first semester senior year grades are muy importante.

Can schools really do that if you passed all classes and graduated within the set schedule (just bombed it by getting 3.2)? I thought they are limited in their power to retroactively withdraw offer to a few very specific circumstances (ie no Dean's certificate).

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm

My GPA dropped almost a tenth my senior year (one sucky class second semester sealed it)

When they saw my transcript no one cared, I still graduated with honors and wasn't put on any type of probation or anything, so nbd.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:
yomisterd wrote:They may not matter in the initial decision, but if you decide to bomb your Senior year a school may revoke your admittance. To be safe, first semester senior year grades are muy importante.

Can schools really do that if you passed all classes and graduated within the set schedule (just bombed it by getting 3.2)? I thought they are limited in their power to retroactively withdraw offer to a few very specific circumstances (ie no Dean's certificate).

This seems to vary by school. I've read here on this forum that some schools admit contingent upon you getting over a certain GPA, and will rescind if you do not. But if your admissions is not conditioned upon you maintaining a certain GPA, then no, they don't rescind.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:55 pm

I would say generally no.
However, if you get wait-listed it could be helpful to provide an update of GPA/Phi Beta Kappa in a LOCI.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm

john7234797 wrote:Yes, because after spending more time lurking around these boards you may end up not going to law school right away.

This so much. Also, what if you don't want to go to law school after all? What if you decide law school isn't for you, drop out, and apply for another graduate program instead? What if you don't like the schools you got into the first time around and need to reapply (as many people do)? What if you need to retake the LSAT after all? Lastly, some legal employers (particularly judges for clerkships) ask for undergrad transcripts as well as law school transcripts.

Now get back to work.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes, because your undergrad grades have potential influence beyond getting you into law school and if you don't care about that then you're not making decisions properly and you should care.

I know you want to hear that you've got it made so you can chill but just do your best and chill in the off-season, knowing that you gave it your all.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:45 pm

if you decide not to go to law school that year, then of course! i decided not to, and my GPA boosted 0.1 the last year, which is really helpful, so yes.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes, they do matter. They will always be there.
This is one of those things that while you're a senior, you're feeling like it won't matter and you want to take a break, but you should definitely, DEFINITELY, strive for the best grades you can even in your senior year.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:09 am

The only situation I could conceive of them mattering much (after you've been admitted) is if you are above their target median GPA through your junior and you drop below it after your senior year. The same would go if you're above their 75th percentile GPA with a below median LSAT score and your GPA falls below 75th percentile.

If they rescind your admission based on your final semester, they're faced with admitting a waitlisted applicant whose numbers aren't likely where they want them to be anyway (otherwise they wouldn't have been waitlisted) or shrinking their class size by 1, losing whatever tuition you would have paid. All bets are off for HYS, of course (and maybe B because they're weird). I don't buy the theory that adcoms will look at your dismal senior year, think that this means you won't do well in law school, and decide to rescind. They care about numbers above everything. So if you're still in their target range, you're good to go, I think. Also, slacking off during your last year is exactly what every employed 3L who isn't gunning for a clerkship does.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:15 am

hcrimson2014 wrote:

i've heard from a reliable source that most schools worth attending do not rescind.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 am

Why not ask the admissions thread with Spivey?

I know someone ( a friend of my sister) who got rescinded from Harvard but she may have had a conditional acceptance. She didn't really care once she didn't get into Yale or Stanford because of her GPA. She ended up doing some prestigious thing at Cambridge instead. Not in law school.

She is probably the smartest girl I've ever met- just insanely smart.

Return to “Law School FAQ”