Undergrad low GPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
js123

Undergrad low GPA

Postby js123 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:15 am

Hey guys so I have a really low gpa about a 2.2, but I've had health issues throughout college and have even had to drop a semester because of the severity of it. It is under control now and I am studying for the december lsat averaging around a 159-162 every practice test. Do you guys think I will be able to get into law school based on this gpa and possible lsat score?

Thanks

kalvano

Re: Undergrad low GPA

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 am

Into a law school? Yes. Into a school worth attending? No.

You need to get your score up into the 170's to get into a school that would be worth the cost of attendance.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am

js123 wrote:Hey guys so I have a really low gpa about a 2.2, but I've had health issues throughout college and have even had to drop a semester because of the severity of it. It is under control now and I am studying for the december lsat averaging around a 159-162 every practice test. Do you guys think I will be able to get into law school based on this gpa and possible lsat score?

Thanks

With that GPA a tier 4 state school with low tuition might be a thought. Network like crazy and and graduate with minimal debt.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:41 pm

js123 wrote:Hey guys so I have a really low gpa about a 2.2, but I've had health issues throughout college and have even had to drop a semester because of the severity of it. It is under control now and I am studying for the december lsat averaging around a 159-162 every practice test. Do you guys think I will be able to get into law school based on this gpa and possible lsat score?

Thanks

Like kalvano said, you will get into a law school, but you have no shot at a law school worth attending with those stats. A few tips:

(1) If you're stuck at 159-162, then stop pointlessly burning up new practice material. You need to reevaluate your study approach entirely. Seek advice on the LSAT forum. You're not going to gain anything by continuing to do things in the same suboptimal fashion.

(2) Have you looked into petitioning for retroactive withdrawals for any of those semesters (especially the semester you had to quit)?

(3) You will very likely need a score in the 170s to get into a law school worth the price you'll have to pay, and even that may not be enough with a GPA that low (which is why you need to find out about the possibility of retroactive withdrawals). If you're not testing in the 170s by the end of November, forget about taking the December test.

Edit: missing word
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School FAQ”