how to determine what undergrad courses are remedial

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
majorsplit2012

how to determine what undergrad courses are remedial

Postby majorsplit2012 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I am fairly confused on how to determine which undergraduate courses wont be scored when sending your undergraduate record to LSAC. On the grade summarization page on LSAC, it said they are counted unless they are clearly indicated remedial.

I called LSAC, and one person said, it says it on your transcript, and another person said the schools provide them a list of courses.

I already expect that my courses (Reading Strategies, Study Strategies, Intro to College Math) wont likely be scored since those were the only three I had taken to my knowledge, I was aware of were remedial.

Now, I am concerned that other courses I did well in wont count (like College English I and II, Intro to Soc, General Psyc, Fundamentals of Chemistry).

Has anyone had any experience with this. What courses were considered remedial that you took? any insight would be welcome as I called my registrar's dept and they don't seem aware the school sends that info to LSAC.

Also, those three courses I mentioned I expected to be remedial, were in the 1000s level, and I wasn't sure either if remedials are in the 000s?

twenty

Re: how to determine what undergrad courses are remedial

Postby twenty » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:39 pm

For what it's worth (YMMV), LSAC counted a College English I class I took, and didn't count an introductory Algebra class I took.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:15 pm

majorsplit2012 wrote:Now, I am concerned that other courses I did well in wont count (like College English I and II, Intro to Soc, General Psyc, Fundamentals of Chemistry).

These aren't remedial. They're just intro courses. Remedial courses are the things you have to take before you can take the introductory ones.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Some schools indicate remedial with a course number <100.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Anything that's "Intro to Chem" or similar is a college-level class. It's normally only math and English/reading that colleges offer as remedial, and as another poster said, those are often numbered as <100. So for example, at a typical college, Freshman English might be English 101, and that's college level. But "Developmental Reading" might be English 091, and that would be remedial.

All of these classes will count, as they are college level: College English I and II, Intro to Soc, General Psyc, Fundamentals of Chemistry

Return to “Law School FAQ”