Is graduating at 29 to old? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cotiger

Gold

Re: Is graduating at 29 to old?

Post by cotiger » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 am

typ3 wrote:I think maybe the correct answer to the OP should read:

Graduating at 29 from law school in this legal market / economy with debt is too old for it to be a wise financial & career decision.s

Even without debt, the degree is likely not worth the effort and stress.
Some of the posters ITT sound like teenagers. 30 is not old. You're still so, so young and have so much of your life ahead of you. You do not drop dead once you hit 35.

Even if we're just talking about being "financially secure"... if you graduate at 30, you still have 35 MORE YEARS of working before typical retirement. If you graduate at 25, you have 40. This is not a significant difference.

What is significant is taking that extra time to figure out who you are and who you want to be. I'm sure this has been said before, but if you guys are getting into law strictly for the ROI, you're making a poor choice.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:11 am

typ3 wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:Planning to get rich picking stocks = planning to graduate in the top 5% of your law school class.
Lots of people make money investing and through public equities.

What do you plan on doing with your money when you retire? Not invest it and watch it evaporate due to inflation?
Not really what I was saying. Expecting to make more than 8-10% a year or so over a long period of time isn't very realistic. Some people succeed and many don't. It seemed like you were advocating that it was easy to make fat stacks picking individual stocks. Maybe I misinterpreted.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:14 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Like this other guy said, my argument is based in terms of money lost. I calculate in my head all the money I have lost all of the time. If I had gone K-JD, I would be buying a house right about now at historically low interest rates. Instead, I will get to buy one in about 5 years and pay a much higher interest rate.
Are you kidding? It's a bad idea to take a few years off before law school because...you wish you could retroactively time the mortgage market? Do you know how dumb that is?
bizzybone1313 wrote:In 2009, I was this {} close to pulling the trigger on Ford stock. I would be balling if I had had the balls to pull the trigger on it. But Ford was close to going bankrupt at the time. At least I bought CAT and made a lot of money on that. To you peeps in Big Law, I would look into UYG. That is making me a killing right now.
What did you know about Ford that the rest of the market didn't? Nothing. Please don't try to give anyone investing advice. Ever. Unless you hate them. And UYG is an incredibly dangerous product. It got absolutely crushed in 07/08. It's still down like 85% since inception.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:18 am

redsox wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Like this other guy said, my argument is based in terms of money lost. I calculate in my head all the money I have lost all of the time. If I had gone K-JD, I would be buying a house right about now at historically low interest rates. Instead, I will get to buy one in about 5 years and pay a much higher interest rate.
Are you kidding? It's a bad idea to take a few years off before law school because...you wish you could retroactively time the mortgage market? Do you know how dumb that is?
bizzybone1313 wrote:In 2009, I was this {} close to pulling the trigger on Ford stock. I would be balling if I had had the balls to pull the trigger on it. But Ford was close to going bankrupt at the time. At least I bought CAT and made a lot of money on that. To you peeps in Big Law, I would look into UYG. That is making me a killing right now.
What did you know about Ford that the rest of the market didn't? Nothing. Please don't try to give anyone investing advice. Ever. Unless you hate them. And UYG is an incredibly dangerous product. It got absolutely crushed in 07/08. It's still down like 85% since inception.
UYG is pretty dangerous. I completly agree. I got in when it was very low. It probably isn't a good product to buy right now.

I wasn't going to retroactively time the mortage market. I graduated from undergrad in 2008. I already knew the market had crashed in 2009-2010. If I would have gone to law school then, I would have already graduated and getting close to buying a house right now. :).

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:To you peeps in Big Law, I would look into UYG. That is making me a killing right now.
bizzybone1313 wrote:UYG is pretty dangerous. I completly agree. I got in when it was very low. It probably isn't a good product to buy right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:26 am

redsox wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:To you peeps in Big Law, I would look into UYG. That is making me a killing right now.
bizzybone1313 wrote:UYG is pretty dangerous. I completly agree. I got in when it was very low. It probably isn't a good product to buy right now.
I am up about $7-$8K on UYG. So, it has been great for me. A small percentage of one's portfolio in risky equities isn't a bad thing. UYG was an excellent buy about 2 years ago. Right now, it is maybe an OK buy.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:33 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
redsox wrote:
I am up about $7-$8K on UYG. So, it has been great for me. A small percentage of one's portfolio in risky equities isn't a bad thing. UYG was an excellent buy about 2 years ago. Right now, it is maybe an OK buy.
What are we supposed to do, average the contradictory statements you make to get your actual opinion?

("It's making a killing right now."+"It probably isn't a good product to buy right now")/2 = "Right now, it is maybe an OK buy."

Tell me, why was it an excellent buy two years ago?

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:36 am

redsox wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
redsox wrote:
What are we supposed to do, average the contradictory statements you make to get your actual opinion?

("It's making a killing right now."+"It probably isn't a good product to buy right now")/2 = "Right now, it is maybe an OK buy."

Tell me, why was it an excellent buy two years ago?
I just didn't want to argue with you, so I choose to contradict myself in the second statement with the hope that you wouldn't say anything. I guess this plan backfired on me.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 am

Just lever up on etoro with a bunch of high risk traders.

Get lucky and weather the storm for a year.

Profit?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:52 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I just didn't want to argue with you, so I choose to contradict myself in the second statement with the hope that you wouldn't say anything. I guess this plan backfired on me.
You are on a website for people that want to go to law school. People here tend to over analyze everything and jump at chances to show off their mad reading comprehension skills. What could ever give you the hope that you wouldn't be called out on a contradiction, much less saying "some" when you meant "many"?

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:26 pm

So I did some of my own reading. I didn't realize the job market was as bad as it is. I have a friend that just graduated from Harvard and he said he was basically lucky to get a job in Pittsburgh. He was also on Law review .

Maybe it's not worth going 250k in debt for a coin flip chance of getting a job. I'm sure most go to law school thinking they'll finish top 10%.

Idk it does seem like a big economic risk.

Finally see why everyone says T-14 or bust

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”