How does a 7 hour courseload look to law schools? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gosox

New

How does a 7 hour courseload look to law schools?

Post by gosox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Hello,
I'm currently a sophomore completing my undergraduate degree. This semester, I've decided that I'd like to become an attorney, and have also changed my major. However, I changed my major after my school's initial drop/add period, so I'm stuck taking classes that correspond to my previous major.
I recently dropped one of those (it's considered a 7th week late drop at my school, and doesn't appear on my transcript at all, I just had to pay my scholarship back). I dropped it because it's known to be a notoriously difficult class and I didn't want to possibly lower my GPA, especially since it has nothing to do with my new major.
However, I'm still taking a calculus class, and after getting my first test grade back, it turns out I'm not doing as well as I thought I was. I'm very worried now because I really don't want to get a bad grade in calc. I could drop it, since the 7th week late drop period at my school is still going on until next Friday, but I then I would only have seven credit hours since calc is worth four.
How would this look to law schools? I don't have any extenuating circumstances for only having seven hours, I just don't want to hurt my GPA (it's currently a 3.5).

P.S. After the seventh week of classes, I could still drop, but I'd get a W on my transcript.

Thank you!

Nova

Platinum

Re: How does a 7 hour courseload look to law schools?

Post by Nova » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 pm

It doesn't matter

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Can you switch calculus to P/F?

gosox

New

Post by gosox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Can you switch calculus to P/F?
Yes, I also have until next week to decide if I want to take it Pass/Fail. Do you recommend that over dropping?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Law schools don't look at your individual courses tbh. They just take your gpa/lsat index and throw the rest away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 am

gosox wrote:
Yes, I also have until next week to decide if I want to take it Pass/Fail. Do you recommend that over dropping?
Yes, I would switch to P/F. Make progress toward the total number of hours required for your degree, and avoid having a semester with only seven hours of credit.

gosox

New

Post by gosox » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 am

Ti Malice wrote:
gosox wrote:
Yes, I would switch to P/F. Make progress toward the total number of hours required for your degree, and avoid having a semester with only seven hours of credit.
I'm a little over one semester ahead in terms of hours toward my degree. Switching majors didn't put me behind or anything (I'm still able to double major which I'm planning on doing).
I think I'm just going to drop the course, as it's what my advisor also told me to do. I'd rather risk having a low course load for just one semester and preserving my GPA, than sticking it out and getting a C or lower.
I'm new to the whole law school admissions, and she let me know like some people have said above, that law schools mainly just look at GPA/LSAT, which is why I'm just going to go ahead and drop it. I'm going to do a lot of volunteering and extracurricular things the rest of the year in order to balance things off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”