Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cneu333
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 am

Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby cneu333 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:22 am

I've been consistently scoring a 159~162 these past two weeks and it took quite a while to get up to this score range from my first diagnosis score, which was 141. I'm in Asia so test day is tomorrow, and I'm registered for it, but now I don't know whether I should withdraw my registration. I have a 150 on my record from December last year and I'm afraid if I take the test tomorrow and get somewhere in the 150s again, I'm going to really not have a chance at any of the top ranking schools anymore. If I consistently scored low on all sections, it would've been easier for me to think that I hit my limit and 155~160 is the best I could do, but the fact that I got -1 on a number of LR and LG sections gives me the hope that I have the potential to score a lot higher, in the 170s. If I do really well on some sections and get only 1~3 wrong on each of them, the other sections go cuckoo and bring down my score. I want to go to a T-14 but with my current score range, I probably don't have the chance, also considering the fact that I have a 150 on record. I have a 3.89 GPA from a liberal arts college and I feel like getting a score in 150s is a waste, but at the same time I don't know if it'd be possible for me to score higher in December, and if not, whether I should postpone application again until next year..

I'm torn between just taking the LSAT and applying to lower ranking schools, or wait until December, aiming for a 175+ and a top ranking school. One other option is to take the LSAT, see how the score is, and apply if it's not too bad, and retake on December if it's too low. But then again, I'm worried that the record of another low score would pull down my chances even if I get a decent score on December. I've been studying for a pretty long time on and off, and I'm now 23 years old with not much job experience other than part time jobs, some office work, teaching English to Korean students, and a short internship.. No eye-opening extracurricular/volunteer activities either. For the past 5 months, I haven't been working at all (not even part time), so if I decide to withdraw tomorrow's LSAT and sit in for December LSAT, I'm also not sure whether I should go look for some job to put on my resume while studying for the LSAT.. Financially, I have some savings from previous jobs and I'd be okay not working for another 2 months, but I'm worried that 7 months of no work or activity will look very bad on my application. Sorry about so much rambling but I'm lost and I don't know what's the best choice for me at this point. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Last edited by cneu333 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

6lehderjets
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby 6lehderjets » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 am

Relax and go to bed.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:01 am

6lehderjets wrote:Relax and go to bed.


And then retake December. It's not the end of the world. Cop that 160+, then go from there.

cneu333
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby cneu333 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:18 am

So you mean it's better to withdraw from tomorrow's test and retake December? Or did you mean do the test tomorrow, and if it doesn't turn out well, retake December?

ManoftheHour wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:Relax and go to bed.


And then retake December. It's not the end of the world. Cop that 160+, then go from there.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:57 am

I would skip the test if I were you. There's no point in wasting one of your three shots in two years if you're scoring that far off from your goal. I believe it's too late for you to withdraw, so just take an absence.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby Crowing » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:41 am

Ti Malice wrote:I would skip the test if I were you. There's no point in wasting one of your three shots in two years if you're scoring that far off from your goal. I believe it's too late for you to withdraw, so just take an absence.


This was my thought as well. You are clearly far off from your target, so there's no sense in wasting a take. Skip the test and make a more long-term plan imo.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Crowing wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:I would skip the test if I were you. There's no point in wasting one of your three shots in two years if you're scoring that far off from your goal. I believe it's too late for you to withdraw, so just take an absence.


This was my thought as well. You are clearly far off from your target, so there's no sense in wasting a take. Skip the test and make a more long-term plan imo.


I agree

soyeonjeon
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:28 am

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby soyeonjeon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 am

Hi, in the same shoes except I'm older. sent you a pm.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby Lumieres » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

If your PT range is 159-162, you'll most likely get lower on the actual test.

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Day before test day and I just scored a 155.. I'm so lost

Postby action90 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 am

cneu333 wrote:I've been consistently scoring a 159~162 these past two weeks and it took quite a while to get up to this score range from my first diagnosis score, which was 141. I'm in Asia so test day is tomorrow, and I'm registered for it, but now I don't know whether I should withdraw my registration. I have a 150 on my record from December last year and I'm afraid if I take the test tomorrow and get somewhere in the 150s again, I'm going to really not have a chance at any of the top ranking schools anymore. If I consistently scored low on all sections, it would've been easier for me to think that I hit my limit and 155~160 is the best I could do, but the fact that I got -1 on a number of LR and LG sections gives me the hope that I have the potential to score a lot higher, in the 170s. If I do really well on some sections and get only 1~3 wrong on each of them, the other sections go cuckoo and bring down my score. I want to go to a T-14 but with my current score range, I probably don't have the chance, also considering the fact that I have a 150 on record. I have a 3.89 GPA from a liberal arts college and I feel like getting a score in 150s is a waste, but at the same time I don't know if it'd be possible for me to score higher in December, and if not, whether I should postpone application again until next year..

I'm torn between just taking the LSAT and applying to lower ranking schools, or wait until December, aiming for a 175+ and a top ranking school. One other option is to take the LSAT, see how the score is, and apply if it's not too bad, and retake on December if it's too low. But then again, I'm worried that the record of another low score would pull down my chances even if I get a decent score on December. I've been studying for a pretty long time on and off, and I'm now 23 years old with not much job experience other than part time jobs, some office work, teaching English to Korean students, and a short internship.. No eye-opening extracurricular/volunteer activities either. For the past 5 months, I haven't been working at all (not even part time), so if I decide to withdraw tomorrow's LSAT and sit in for December LSAT, I'm also not sure whether I should go look for some job to put on my resume while studying for the LSAT.. Financially, I have some savings from previous jobs and I'd be okay not working for another 2 months, but I'm worried that 7 months of no work or activity will look very bad on my application. Sorry about so much rambling but I'm lost and I don't know what's the best choice for me at this point. Any advice would be really appreciated.


In my opinion, it really doesnt make a lot of sense to take a test when you're already scoring very far away from your target. You're better off identifying your weaknesses and taking the test when your closer to scoring your actual goals.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest