Justice of the Peace "Clerk" Job Prior to Attending LS

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Should I "clerk" with a Justice of the Peace?

Yes
20%
No
60%
Maybe
20%

Total votes: 5

bizzybone1313

Justice of the Peace "Clerk" Job Prior to Attending LS

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:05 pm

I have some connections that could probably get me a "clerk" like job with a Justice of the Peace in a small community. How good would this look on my resume for OCI or would I be wasting my time? This job is almost a shoo-in due to my connection, but I don't want to work there if it isn't going to really help come OCI time. Have any of you guys worked this type of job? Is it legit? Will I learn a lot? Would I be better served to work for a firm?

Thanks in advance.

bizzybone1313

Re: Justice of the Peace "Clerk" Job Prior to Attending LS

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Bump.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:41 am

Dude, you're seriously going to bump a thread less than a day old?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:51 am

Most of the threads I post or read are on the very front page of TLS. I rarely venture into the individual forums. My goal wasn't to bump this thread up the individual forum, but rather to get it on the front page, so I can get some advice. If working for a Justice of the Peace is a waste of time, I don't want to do it. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:52 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Most of the threads I post or read are on the very front page of TLS. I rarely venture into the individual forums. My goal wasn't to bump this thread up the individual forum, but rather to get it on the front page, so I can get some advice. If working for a Justice of the Peace is a waste of time, I don't want to do it. I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not.

Wait... really? I didn't know people used the front page to find threads..

serdog

Postby serdog » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Is there another Job that pays better you can take?
What does this Justice of the Peace do? ie run trials or mainly admin matters etc.
How experienced is the the said justice
I clerked for 6 weeks this summer in New Zealand for the Maori Land Court and it was a great experience. one thing that for sure it will be a great experience

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 pm

The Justice of the Peace that I would "clerk" for is very experienced. She has done this type of work 10+ years. Basically, her daughter graduated high school with me, so the job would be almost a guarantee. The problem I have is that I have virtually no legal experience on my resume. Since I am leaning towards wanting to practice immigration law, I think I should try to find something immigration related.

Return to “Law School FAQ”