Careers with Arabic and Law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jmcerney

New

Careers with Arabic and Law

Post by jmcerney » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:49 pm

I am living in Oman, and spent last year in Saudi. I have been studying Arabic while working in the region. I would say I am at a (low?) intermediate level. I am wondering what kind of career opportunities there are for someone with Arabic language skills, as well as experience in the region? I would really like to continue to learn the language and use it in a career with the law.

thanks for your input!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Careers with Arabic and Law

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:59 pm

many firms have a dedicated Islamic law practice, where I'm sure knowing Arabic would be valuable.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:19 pm

I bet that the military JAG would love you, if you can pass a MEPS and the physical.

jmcerney

New

Post by jmcerney » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:many firms have a dedicated Islamic law practice, where I'm sure knowing Arabic would be valuable.
I've read a bit about this. What do you know about Islamic Law practices? what exactly do they do? Are these types of positions in demand? Are they lucrative positions? Do they require living overseas?

Any other ideas?

Ive been reading about immigration law and international corporate law. Both seem interesting, though I am curious to what extent Arabic is useful/marketable in these fields

Thanks again for your feedback

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:36 pm

I've seen more than a few postings for entry-level associates for a firm's Dubai / Saudi / etc. practice that requires Arabic and prefers past experience in the region. I think it would be an fairly substantial hiring boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jmcerney

New

Post by jmcerney » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm

kalvano wrote:I've seen more than a few postings for entry-level associates for a firm's Dubai / Saudi / etc. practice that requires Arabic and prefers past experience in the region. I think it would be an fairly substantial hiring boost.
Thanks for the input.

Any idea on where I should be looking at schools and what I should be studying to get into these kinds of jobs?

I have a 165 and a 3.4445

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 pm

jmcerney wrote:
kalvano wrote:I've seen more than a few postings for entry-level associates for a firm's Dubai / Saudi / etc. practice that requires Arabic and prefers past experience in the region. I think it would be an fairly substantial hiring boost.
Thanks for the input.

Any idea on where I should be looking at schools and what I should be studying to get into these kinds of jobs?

Obviously, the better the school the better your chances. But at the same time, Arabic fluency and a basic understanding of Arabic culture probably isn't very common among law students and grads, so with that type of skill set, your grades and school name may matter a little less. If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.

But shoot for either T14 (not likely with your numbers), a full or close to full ride at a decent school, or best option, retake and score a few points higher on the LSAT and then go to a T14.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

jmcerney wrote:Any idea on where I should be looking at schools and what I should be studying to get into these kinds of jobs?

To get into these kinds of jobs, you should be looking at the nearest schools that host LSAT testing centers, and you should be studying the LSAT for your retake.

callmemaybe

New

Post by callmemaybe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

I can say, having just gone through OCI as a fluent Arabic speaker who lived in the Middle East for a while, that having that skill was helpful to talk about in interviews, and it helped me differentiate myself from other applicants. However, I don't think that those language skills in isolation will help much in getting a job. You have to have good grades from a top school first and foremost. I don't think a 165/3.44 will get you in to they type of school where the firms with needs in the Middle East will be recruiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I bet that the military JAG would love you, if you can pass a MEPS and the physical.
I don't think it would really help that much. The military is really shifting focus away from the Middle East, and JAGs don't really do anything where language skills would be all the helpful anyway.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: I don't think it would really help that much. The military is really shifting focus away from the Middle East, and JAGs don't really do anything where language skills would be all the helpful anyway.
The Marine presentation we had at our school painted a different picture. If the U.S. came in and blew up someone's house, the local leaders would want restitution and you'd have to converse with them, for example. Also, contracts, reaching out to the local region, etc. I don't know for certain, but I got the impression that they wanted people with those language skills.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Retake.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote: I don't think it would really help that much. The military is really shifting focus away from the Middle East, and JAGs don't really do anything where language skills would be all the helpful anyway.
The Marine presentation we had at our school painted a different picture. If the U.S. came in and blew up someone's house, the local leaders would want restitution and you'd have to converse with them, for example. Also, contracts, reaching out to the local region, etc. I don't know for certain, but I got the impression that they wanted people with those language skills.
I guess what I'm saying is it might be a nice to have, but it's probably not going to make JAG pop a boner. Payments to locals might be signed off on by a JAG, but the legwork/meetings with the locals are done by someone else. Ditto local national contracts. And again, Arabic is kind of yesterday's news.

That said, speaking Arabic certainly wouldn't hurt.

PS In the interest of full disclosure, not a JAG recruiter, but I've been in the military/on deployments that involved meetings with locals.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is it might be a nice to have, but it's probably not going to make JAG pop a boner. Payments to locals might be signed off on by a JAG, but the legwork/meetings with the locals are done by someone else. Ditto local national contracts. And again, Arabic is kind of yesterday's news.

That said, speaking Arabic certainly wouldn't hurt.

PS In the interest of full disclosure, not a JAG recruiter, but I've been in the military/on deployments that involved meetings with locals.
Absolutely this. The state department does all of the actual liason work with foreign countries, so a JAG would primarily be responsible for working with the state department on any issues like this.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:21 pm

I stand corrected then. Serves me right for listening to a recruiter. :D

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Skip law school and apply to the CIA / NSA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”