How much does GPA in major matter and GPA related questions

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ihatethelsat25

How much does GPA in major matter and GPA related questions

Postby ihatethelsat25 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey all,

I graduated in May 2013 with a 3.67 overall GPA putting me just out of the top 10% of my class (it was around top 12%). I was wondering how law schools look at GPAs. First of all I have a very strong upward trend after Freshman year, my first semester was my worst because I took credit heavy science classes (go figure I thought I was going to be a doctor) so when I take that first semester out my GPA is 3.74. Here is my trend:

Freshman Year:
First Semester: 3.14
Second Semester:3.75
Sophomore Year:
First Semester:3.78
Second Semester:3.7
Junior Year:
First Semester:3.78
Second Semester:3.78
Senior Year:
First Semester:3.75
Second Semester:3.75

So how will a board look at this? What will they think? Will they just ignore this much detail and simply go with my cumulative? I also have some killer soft factors so I'm hoping I can still pull t14.

dowu

Re: How much does GPA in major matter and GPA related questions

Postby dowu » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

All they will care about is your cumulative.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Cumulative, more specifically LSAC-caculated cumulative.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Cumulative, more specifically LSAC-calculated cumulative.

Yes. Nothing else matters.

dowu

Postby dowu » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Cumulative, more specifically LSAC-calculated cumulative.

Yes. Nothing else matters.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 am

ihatethelsat25 wrote:I also have some killer soft factors so I'm hoping I can still pull t14.

With the right LSAT, everything but Y and S would be in play.

What are these "killer" softs? Unless they're on the order of Rhodes/Marshall, renowned author, Olympic medalist, Ph.D. with influential publications, and so forth, you're probably overestimating them a bit.

ihatethelsat25

Postby ihatethelsat25 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 am

Ti Malice wrote:
ihatethelsat25 wrote:I also have some killer soft factors so I'm hoping I can still pull t14.

What are these "killer" softs? Unless they're on the order of Rhodes/Marshall, renowned author, Olympic medalist, Ph.D. with influential publications, and so forth, you're probably overestimating them a bit.

Fulbright that I will be going on this upcoming year. I also just interned at the White House, and I've had a lot of other internships in the past but those are my big two. I'm not saying it is a definite but I know both will help shape an interesting application.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:50 pm

ihatethelsat25 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Fulbright that I will be going on this upcoming year. I also just interned at the White House, and I've had a lot of other internships in the past but those are my big two. I'm not saying it is a definite but I know both will help shape an interesting application.

The Fulbright is a good soft. Fulbrights are not nearly as competitive as Rhodes/Marshall, so having one is not a "great" soft or a "killer" soft, but it is a good soft. Internships really don't move the needle much at all.

You have above-average softs, but you're still likely to perform more or less as your numbers would indicate. Focus on the LSAT.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
ihatethelsat25 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

The Fulbright is a good soft. Fulbrights are not nearly as competitive as Rhodes/Marshall, so having one is not a "great" soft or a "killer" soft, but it is a good soft. Internships really don't move the needle much at all.

You have above-average softs, but you're still likely to perform more or less as your numbers would indicate. Focus on the LSAT.

+11111

Return to “Law School FAQ”