Black Student. Need Help.

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Re: Black Student. Need Help.

Postby jordan15 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Law schools aren't "breaking the law" if they continue to look more favorably at URMs. SCOTUS striking down AA will not stop admissions officers from reading personal statements, looking at club participation, and deciding that a student from a more diverse background is a better fit for the campus than a similarly qualified and less diverse student.

This is why diversity statements are already so important. People have posted here many times that they got essentially no bump for law admissions when they didn't write a diversity statement.

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:37 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Here's the description of the issue in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action on SCOTUSblog:

"Whether a state violates the Equal Protection Clause by amending its constitution to prohibit race- and sex-based discrimination or preferential treatment in public-university admissions decisions. (Kagan, J., recused.)"

So it sounds like they'll just be deciding whether states will be allowed to ban preferential treatment at public universities via a constitutional amendment. So the worst possible situation for you in particular would be:

1) SCOTUS decides that it's okay for states to ban preferential treatment via a constitutional amendment,
2) You want to go to a public university,
3) The state where your school of choice is located actually decides to try to ban preferential treatment via a change to their constitution,
4) They're successful in amending their constitution, and the state schools take a hard-line approach about following the new restrictions, and
5) It all comes to pass quickly enough for it to matter for applicants in next cycle.

Frankly, I'd say things look pretty good for you.

+1 I was wondering when someone was going to mention what this case actually was about.

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:44 pm

sublime wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Race based admission is for diversity numbers. Nobody cares if you're poor, or at least not very much. Being poor is probably about even with volunteering at a soup kitchen for a soft, which isn't saying much.

I understand that and agree with you. However, that is the simplest way to explain it. Also, there is not any gain to the school when admitting a poor white kid with subpar numbers.

Whatever the reason, nobody gives a fuck about poor white people, but that's OK because there's only like 20 million of them in America, so hardly anybody.

Some schools in the T-14 take that kind of diversity seriously, though. Obviously nobody knows what part of the app put them over the top, but I know a few white kids kids with diverse SES, diverse WE, or army experience who appear to have gotten some bump out of it.

Postby IrishJew » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Korematsu wrote:...t don't expect it anytime soon with NBC news showing a story of some loser with a JD who practices law and works at Sam's Club and can't muster $15,000 a year. If you can't make $15K running a lemonade stand, breeding purebred dogs, or working at Arby's you have some serious problems and should seek immediate help.

Postby AaronCarter » Fri May 23, 2014 10:35 am

Finished College.
Final GPA 3.1 (I know. I screwed up.)

Haven't stopped studying for LSAT. I've hit 177 four times while PTing. I believe I will apply at the VERY beginning of next cycle.

Any chance of HYS/decent money at T6?

Postby twenty » Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 am

If you actually end up in the 175+ range, then certainly. Well, maybe not HYS, but CCN with some money is probably still in the cards.

edit> Actually, if you did end up with a 177, you'd probably be the highest-scoring AA next cycle, so that might change things for you. Who knows. Apply early and do well on the LSAT. :)

Postby KA631LGH » Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 pm

OP, if you don't mind me asking.. What material are you using for your preparation for the LSAT? Also, how are you preparing?

It's impressive that you jumped to 177 four times after scoring 164-165,

thanks and best of luck!

Postby sunsheyen » Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm

OP, are you registered for the June test? September?

Return to “Law School FAQ”