AaronCarter wrote: ScottRiqui wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:The consensus here has definitely thrown me off a bit.
If I'm understanding correctly, it is better to hold off on a the test and shoot for a 170+ even if that may mean waiting until Feb/June. (though I think i could pull a 165 now).
The reason for this is b/c even if the justices overturn the policy, law schools across the nation will willingly break the law for a year or so afterwards.
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but it seems a bit odd (even taking into account the Berkley example).
First, can you confirm that you'd be able to graduate with your bachelor's in time to start law school by the Fall of 2014? You said in your first post that you're a junior, but I didn't know if you could compress your timeline enough to graduate that early.
Second, you said that you wanted to go to DePaul, which is a private school. Do we know if any potential decision from SCOTUS will even affect admissions at private schools?
My gut feeling is that unless SCOTUS comes back with a decision that unambiguously bans any consideration of race at all, there will still be a racial component to the admissions process; schools will still be under societal pressure to maintain/increase diversity, and there's enough subjectivity in the admissions process for them to be able to continue to give some kind of boost without it being explicit.
1) It will be tough/terrible next semester, but doable. I can graduate and be ready for the fall.
2) Since private schools still receive various types of federal funding, I'm assuming they wold be affected.
3) "My gut feeling" . I know that's all we have right now, but i'm just assuming Clarence Thomas gets his way.
Here's the description of the issue in Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action
on SCOTUSblog:"Whether a state violates the Equal Protection Clause by amending its constitution to prohibit race- and sex-based discrimination or preferential treatment in public-university admissions decisions. (Kagan, J., recused.)"
So it sounds like they'll just be deciding whether states will be allowed to ban preferential treatment at public universities via a constitutional amendment. So the worst possible situation for you in particular would be:
1) SCOTUS decides that it's okay for states to ban preferential treatment via a constitutional amendment,
2) You want to go to a public university,
3) The state where your school of choice is located actually decides to try to ban preferential treatment via a change to their constitution,
4) They're successful in amending their constitution, and the state schools take a hard-line approach about following the new restrictions, and
5) It all comes to pass quickly enough for it to matter for applicants in next cycle.
Frankly, I'd say things look pretty good for you.