should I go for it?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
topgunitsme

should I go for it?

Postby topgunitsme » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:42 am

First of all, I'm from India and I had appeared for the Common Law Admission Test which is the indian equivalent of the LSAT and got fared poorly.
I'm in grad school now pursuing BA(Bachelor of Arts) from a not so reputated University and here in India we can pursue BA-LLB as well.
My question is what are the chances of my being accepted in a reputated law school?
(What are the qualities that they look for-extra-curriculars or marks?
SCHOLARSHIP(Im not that loaded and 50 grand a year would a tad bit expensive for me.

What is the minimum score that one should get in order to get a call from an ivy league school.

P.S-Suits is not the reason I want to become a lawyer.

Thanks!

Redfactor

Re: should I go for it?

Postby Redfactor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:19 pm

If you did poorly on the Indian version of the LSAT, what leads you to believe that you would fare any better on the LSAT? Is there an extra dimension in your test that dragged down your score that isn't present in the LSAT? If not, this doesn't seem like a viable option.

You probably need a 170 or close to it if you want to hear back from Ivies, and if you want financial aid you should aim even higher.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Your post is all over the place.

The ivy league is an athletic conference. You really want to pick a law school based on that?

Presumably your GPA won't be factored into usnwr because its foreign so you would need a median or above lsat score for a legit shot at admission and scholarships.

Extra curriculars , major, and prestige of undergrad don't matter much at all.

The LSAT would almost completely dictate how your cycle would go.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Do you want to practice law in the United States or in India?

guano

Postby guano » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Nova wrote:The ivy league is an athletic conference. You really want to pick a law school based on that?

Realistically, all Ivy League schools that have a law school are excellent (Yale, Hravard, Columbia, Penn)

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:24 pm

guano wrote:
Nova wrote:The ivy league is an athletic conference. You really want to pick a law school based on that?

Realistically, all Ivy League schools that have a law school are excellent (Yale, Hravard, Columbia, Penn)

True. I guess the point I was trying to make is that theres really no good reason [I can think of] to target ivys rather than top law schools in general (S, NYU, Chi...).

guano

Postby guano » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Nova wrote:
guano wrote:

True. I guess the point I was trying to make is that theres really no good reason [I can think of] to target ivys rather than top law schools in general (S, NYU, Chi...).

Depends on where [outside the US] you're looking for a job

poke800ash

Postby poke800ash » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Nova wrote:Your post is all over the place.

The ivy league is an athletic conference. You really want to pick a law school based on that?

Presumably your GPA won't be factored into usnwr because its foreign so you would need a median or above lsat score for a legit shot at admission and scholarships.

Extra curriculars , major, and prestige of undergrad don't matter much at all.

The LSAT would almost completely dictate how your cycle would go.

Not Really true for foreign schools, as someone with connection to the Chinese side of his family, T14's generally will not look at applicants that are not from tier 1 Chinese colleges (whereas for Americans even a community college grade is legit) and there is no reason to believe that they will treat Indian students not from IIT/Mumbai etc. any differently.

2013applicant

Postby 2013applicant » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:58 pm

guano wrote:

Yea, but then there is Cornell

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 am

2013applicant wrote:
guano wrote:

Yea, but then there is Cornell

You're a Cornell

Return to “Law School FAQ”