Character and fitness, fee waivers and Dean's certifications

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HarvardHopeful

Character and fitness, fee waivers and Dean's certifications

Postby HarvardHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Re: Character and fitness, fee waivers and Dean's certifications

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm

1) I believe if you answer yes in the application to any C&F issues, they ask you to write an addendum explaining why you selected yes. Drinking alcohol on a college campus before you were 21, I think it is safe to say will have minimal if any impact on your application. There is no data on this but that is my personal thinking. Just make sure to own up to your mistake in your addendum. There is a lot of solid advice floating around here to help you with the tone you should use.

HLS is basically a lock, YS will depend on your softs but you should have a strong chance. Given your username, you will likely be happy.

2) For Stanford, you can submit the application but I believe they do not mark your application as complete and ready for review until they receive the certification from the get go. For YSCCNMVPBDNC, you can, though I assume they will look at your application and promptly ask you to send in a dean of cert sometime relatively early in the cycle given your C&F issue, which will likely put rendering your decision on hold until they receive said document.

3) Email the admissions departments at every school and ask them for a fee waiver whilst informing them of your LSAT/GPA/LSAC account number. There is a format around here somewhere you can use or you can just make it up yourself. It should be pretty brief. Fee Waivers are usually given trickling after LSAT test results are returned.

For you, yes. Full ride scholarships are definitely aided by applying early. I would solicit the fee waivers, and then just apply as early as you can from that point forward. HYS generally only give need based fee waivers but CCN and down should net you a solid amount when you attempt to solicit them.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks sinfiery for the help!

Is it typical to solicit fee waivers? I've always assumed you have to wait for them.

The part about Dean's certs is definitely a relief. I can't request them from my university until I see the form on the applications when they become available, so I was worried I'd have to wait an extra month just for those.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 pm

I think so. I've done it and many others on TLS with varying degrees of success. It can really save you some money.

No problem, good luck! You should have an amazing cycle.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 pm

I second everything sinfiery said. A non-violent, non-DWI alcohol charge from your college days that doesn't indicate habitual abuse of alcohol will have zero effect on your cycle. Several of my friends at Y had to disclose worse offenses than that. Everyone knows college students drink underage. As long as your charge doesn't have any of the aforementioned characteristics, no one cares.

HarvardHopeful

Postby HarvardHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:39 am

Ti Malice wrote:I second everything sinfiery said. A non-violent, non-DWI alcohol charge from your college days that doesn't indicate habitual abuse of alcohol will have zero effect on your cycle. Several of my friends at Y had to disclose worse offenses than that. Everyone knows college students drink underage. As long as your charge doesn't have any of the aforementioned characteristics, no one cares.

X
Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 am

HarvardHopeful wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:I second everything sinfiery said. A non-violent, non-DWI alcohol charge from your college days that doesn't indicate habitual abuse of alcohol will have zero effect on your cycle. Several of my friends at Y had to disclose worse offenses than that. Everyone knows college students drink underage. As long as your charge doesn't have any of the aforementioned characteristics, no one cares.

Its good to hear that Y accepts people with worse, thankyou!

I've read several examples of character and fitness addendums, but they were mostly people with multiple offenses and things like DWIs. Since this is my only offense and I'm not exactly apologetic for underage drinking but more so for being stupid enough to get caught, any advice on the tone?

I'm finding that when I write about being apologetic it sounds insincere since I'm sure they'll assume that wasn't the last time I drank while underage.

"Regretting a poor decision" is ambiguous enough not to be a lie. You ought to be able to make that come off sincerely, if only by thinking "yeah I regret the poor decision of getting caught."

Return to “Law School FAQ”