Part time pros and cons? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gopats

New

Part time pros and cons?

Post by gopats » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:09 pm

a quick thread of the pros and cons of part time law school, any replies are much appreciated! :D

Diamond

Re: Part time pros and cons?

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:18 pm

No school worth going to has a PT program.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Redfactor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:No school worth going to has a PT program.
GULC
I stand by my words

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Redfactor wrote:Some pretty heavy trolling.

Your view is extreme and foolish.

GULC is a great school and for the right price point can be a fantastic opportunity.
True, but they do not frequently give out merit aid for PT, and its emphatically not worth sticker.

arkgawilson

Bronze

Post by arkgawilson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:No school worth going to has a PT program.
That was helpful.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 am

ImNoScar wrote:

GULC is a great school and for the right price point can be a fantastic opportunity.
True, but they do not frequently give out merit aid for PT, and its emphatically not worth sticker.
It does seem to be true that schools are considerably less generous towards there part time students. I can understand the argument that the offers one is likely to receive from a school, can make the end result a dubious investment.

Although, I am look into part-time programs in the DC area myself. For me, it is not the school, but my current job that make part-time the path of choice. For starters, I have a job that has a good salary, with top flight benefits, among these benefits are some strong options to off-set the cost of earning an extra degree. I suspect that it is quite likely I will continue to work for the same org upon the completion of a JD, and the experience I gain while working these years will help place me in a better position for the jobs I am looking for.

To many this may sound like the special-snow-flake scenario, who knows maybe it is. But, for most, if you are not working, or only working a job that you feel is a place holder, than it is quite likely that the trade offs of a PT program, vice that of a FT program are likely not worth it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:54 pm

haus wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

It does seem to be true that schools are considerably less generous towards there part time students. I can understand the argument that the offers one is likely to receive from a school, can make the end result a dubious investment.

Although, I am look into part-time programs in the DC area myself. For me, it is not the school, but my current job that make part-time the path of choice. For starters, I have a job that has a good salary, with top flight benefits, among these benefits are some strong options to off-set the cost of earning an extra degree. I suspect that it is quite likely I will continue to work for the same org upon the completion of a JD, and the experience I gain while working these years will help place me in a better position for the jobs I am looking for.

To many this may sound like the special-snow-flake scenario, who knows maybe it is. But, for most, if you are not working, or only working a job that you feel is a place holder, than it is quite likely that the trade offs of a PT program, vice that of a FT program are likely not worth it.
It's not a special snowflake, but it is a special situation. Going part time to further your current career is a good idea (assuming it actually furthers it).

But you should make sure you actually calculate the costs. A PT program is probably going to cost nearly 180k all said and done unless you get aid.

But if you are working for a nonprofit or government, you might be able to use the schools LRAP and federal loan forgiveness to do it for pretty low cost. Hell, you might be able to take out cost of living loans and make money on the whole thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote: It's not a special snowflake, but it is a special situation. Going part time to further your current career is a good idea (assuming it actually furthers it).

But you should make sure you actually calculate the costs. A PT program is probably going to cost nearly 180k all said and done unless you get aid.

But if you are working for a nonprofit or government, you might be able to use the schools LRAP and federal loan forgiveness to do it for pretty low cost. Hell, you might be able to take out cost of living loans and make money on the whole thing.
In my case, I am a gov worker (InfoSec, working at at the rough equivalent of a mid-range GS14, with shot at 15 in the not so distant future). Although predicting the future leaves a great deal of room for error, law and InfoSec seem to be getting twisted together rather tightly at several agencies I have dealt with, and I think that I have a significant chance of making this come together for a net positive.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 am

Going back to the question that was asked...

Pros
- continue making money (I'm not taking any loans out for living expenses or housing)
- no fear of unemployment (that is if you are currently employed)
- not as competitive (most PT students aren't gunning for big law or fed clerkships)
- ability to advance your career in the evenings, while your colleagues and co-workers are just chilling at home
- opportunity to change career paths if you don't like the industry you're in right now

Cons
- long days, very long (I get up at 6am and get home at 11pm after work and classes)
- not the best route to go if you want the most prestigious jobs
- nearly impossible to participate in student organizations or activities
- if you plan on staying employed, you can't take on summer associate jobs
- one extra year (4 vs. 3)
- less time to study (if you're employed)
- less free time to do the things you enjoy

Going part-time makes complete sense for some people, and doesn't make sense for others. For example, I have a classmate who just graduated college in may, doesn't work, and is a PT evening student. Makes zero sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”