confusion with LSAC GPA and UGPA

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
spitfire5790

confusion with LSAC GPA and UGPA

Postby spitfire5790 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello, I just signed up because I'm having trouble understanding how LSAC calculates my UGPA. I think my situation is not as straight forward as the website puts it. This is my situation. I have an overall gpa of a 3.493 and a cumulative gpa of 3.516 from the institution--FAU--that I am currently going to. However, I have transferred from 2 other institutions, University of Texas Arlington and PBSU. At UTA i had a GPA of 3.2 and at PBSU i had a 4.0 GPA. I have several withdrawals due to a medical condition that required regular CAT, MRI, and PET scans and was unable to effectively attend classes at full capacity; however, I approached each semester at the time hoping that I would be able to. This is where I am getting confused, My W's are not showing up as punitive--7 of them-- but at UTA, they have "Q" and a "W" and I am unsure how to approach this in relation to calculating my LSAC GPA. the other problem is does anyone know if anyone had a similar situation to this? I'll post a link below from all the institutions so you guys can get an understanding of what I am talking about. This is really worrying me because I have worked extremely hard to raise gpa to where it is at. Thank you for your time and assistance.

UTA Grading Scale.
http://wweb.uta.edu/catalog/content/gen ... tions.aspx

FAU Grading Scale.
http://www.fau.edu/registrar/gradesys.php

PBSU grading Scale.
http://palmbeachstate.compliance-assist ... 24e84f6678

I did not withdraw from any classes from PBSU only UTA and FAU. Essentially, I started out at FAU, then moved to texas--UTA--to be closer to MD Anderson and then back to Florida--first PBSU--and then transferred back to FAU. It's a mess and I honestly don't know what to make of it.

twenty

Re: confusion with LSAC GPA and UGPA

Postby twenty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I really do think you'll be okay. Only way to know for sure is to submit your stuff to CAS, which you should probably be doing pretty quick anyway.

yot11

Postby yot11 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay reading through the explanation of a Q:

Students dropping a course for academic reasons will receive a “W.” Students withdrawing from the university or who received an approved non-academic exception will receive a course notation of Q on the transcript. Courses denoted with Q do not count toward the 6-course drop limit.

I can assure you with 99.9% certainty that this will not hurt you. It's essentially a special-case, non-punitive W. It will be ignored for GPA calculation purposes.

spitfire5790

Postby spitfire5790 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:56 pm

yot11 wrote:Okay reading through the explanation of a Q:

Students dropping a course for academic reasons will receive a “W.” Students withdrawing from the university or who received an approved non-academic exception will receive a course notation of Q on the transcript. Courses denoted with Q do not count toward the 6-course drop limit.

I can assure you with 99.9% certainty that this will not hurt you. It's essentially a special-case, non-punitive W. It will be ignored for GPA calculation purposes.

Thank you for your response. I have no "Q's" I just have all W's and was getting confused by what my W's meant if the Q was non punitive. All the W's on my transcript are simply "W", not WP or WF.

spitfire5790

Postby spitfire5790 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank you. It's good to see that the schools I went are all on the same page in terms of grading scale to LSAC. I was freaking out because I no longer have student access to the website and all it was showing me was "A, B, C, D, F" not the actually point values. It is much appreciated.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:46 pm

i searched a good 10 minutes for that link to post here on LSACs website

thank you

Return to “Law School FAQ”