Considering Part Time Law School...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
pl1050

Considering Part Time Law School...

Postby pl1050 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi, I am considering part time law school. I graduated with a BBA in Finance in 2009 and have been working in the financial services industry since then. I am really looking to get in to law school so I can do consulting work, etc. within the financial services industry. I am considering PT law school so I can keep my professional job and continue to build my resume. I have a typical 8 - 5 full time work schedule but do have some flexibility with the company I work for.

I understand that there is a huge time commitment and I am prepared for that (i think). I am hoping that someone here has been in this same position and can share their experience with me. Just wondering what type of time I can expect to devote to school every week, etc.

Thanks!

Lumieres

Re: Considering Part Time Law School...

Postby Lumieres » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09 am

I also work an 8-5 schedule, but here's what my fall semester is looking like:

Monday, class from 6-9:30
Tuesday, class from 6-8:45
Wednesday, class from 6-7:30
Thursday, class from 6-9:00

I might be off an hour or two, but it is for 11 credits. No classes on Friday nights, thankfully.

Also, if you want to graduate in four years with your summers off, you definitely need to take a good amount of credits during fall and spring. Workload is tough and depends a lot on how demanding and stressful your job is. What do you do if a client wants something done by Monday morning, and you would typically work through the weekend to finish, but you have an exam the same Monday?

I would say just go full-time if you can afford to. Part-time should be a last resort kind of thing.

pl1050

Postby pl1050 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. So how much time per week do you spend doing homework, etc. outside of class? Do the professors seem willing to work with part time students more since they are working full time as well?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 am

If you want to go into consulting, why aren't you looking into B-School instead? It's faster, cheaper, and more likely to get you into the field you want.

rad21

Postby rad21 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:16 am

pl1050 wrote:Thanks for the reply. So how much time per week do you spend doing homework, etc. outside of class? Do the professors seem willing to work with part time students more since they are working full time as well?

I'm basically in your position, so I can tell you what my experience has been. Four classes each semester (Mon-Thurs). Basically go straight from work to school and then don't get home until 9 to 10pm (my first year I would sometimes spend several hours after getting home studying, but you get more efficient after a while). Wake up and do it again the next day. I take Friday nights off to just relax. Then study all day/night Saturday and Sunday (if you think about it, there is no other time to get your reading done, so kiss weekends goodbye). One of the biggest challenges is remembering everything you read on Saturday morning when a professor cold calls you on Thursday night. I wouldn't say that there is any special treatment of the night time students at my school. The professors assign work and don't hold back. The only consideration they might give is providing reading assignments for a week or two ahead of time so you can read ahead (because they know you have to budget your time very strictly).

I would say that you should be prepared to do nothing but work and school for months at a time. There are a lot of people that cut their work hours back or quit their job entirely after the first semester or so. You could definitely put in fewer hours than I did. But if you want to be competitive GPA-wise and such, you'll need to devote a lot of time.

Feel free to PM me if you want any details.

Return to “Law School FAQ”