Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 pm

So, I'm about a week away from starting Law School, and I had a quick question about piercings.

I have no face piercings, but I do have 12 ear piercings (triple pierced on each side, then various cartilage piercings).

I almost never wear them all at once, but generally have about 8 or so in at a time. I'm assuming it's probably fine to wear them as I usually do to classes (unless it isnt??) My main question is that my school is having a "professional alumni networking event" the first week of law school. I know I'm not a special snowflake and most of those professionals will probably not remember me, but should I take out some of the piercings? Just wear single ones? Keep the cartilage in?

I worked as a secretary-type for a small law firm for about a year and a half a couple years ago, and they were always fine with it, but it was a pretty small and casual firm (less than 5 lawyers).

Thanks!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Male or female? If male, they all need to go now so the holes can start to heal up. If female, I would say one per ear. Maybe two, but that would be pushing it (females, feel free to correct me). Law is very conservative.

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:08 am

I'm a girl.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 am

That is sickening. Don't subject people to looking at a side show freak. The advice above sounded good.

lmr
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:22 am

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby lmr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:So, I'm about a week away from starting Law School, and I had a quick question about piercings.

I have no face piercings, but I do have 12 ear piercings (triple pierced on each side, then various cartilage piercings).

I almost never wear them all at once, but generally have about 8 or so in at a time. I'm assuming it's probably fine to wear them as I usually do to classes (unless it isnt??) My main question is that my school is having a "professional alumni networking event" the first week of law school. I know I'm not a special snowflake and most of those professionals will probably not remember me, but should I take out some of the piercings? Just wear single ones? Keep the cartilage in?

I worked as a secretary-type for a small law firm for about a year and a half a couple years ago, and they were always fine with it, but it was a pretty small and casual firm (less than 5 lawyers).

Thanks!


Depends on what type of law you are pursuing. Public interest won't care, big law firms and most judges will. For class no one will care, for interviews I'd be safe and remove all but one.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:I'm a girl.


One per ear.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby 09042014 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 am

Tom Joad wrote:That is sickening. Don't subject people to looking at a side show freak. The advice above sounded good.


Yea, this isn't a SF gangbang.

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks for your responses everyone!!

Got a couple good laughs out a few! I realize my first post must have made me seem like some kind of intense person, when actually I'm super clean cut and wear mostly J. Crew etc. And generally wear like little rhinestones or like hearts in my piercings LOL.

But I definitely get the message and will take everything out except the first ones. I definitely do not want to start off on the wrong foot!

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:I realize my first post must have made me seem like some kind of intense person, when actually I'm super clean cut and wear mostly J. Crew etc. And generally wear like little rhinestones or like hearts in my piercings

Jesus, don't be a preppy scum sucker. Those people are the worst.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 am

Post some of the other stuff you wear so we can all criticize that, too. :D

RoaringMice
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby RoaringMice » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 am

You're correct to remove the jewelery. Law, generally speaking, tends to be a conservative environment. Always err on the side of being more conservative.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Piercings and Law School Networking/Professional Events

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 am

When in doubt, take em out. No one ever lost a job opportunity in law for not looking radical enough.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest