How old is too old? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
quinpla

New

How old is too old?

Post by quinpla » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 pm

How old is "old" to start law school?
There are some things I'd like to do before starting law school, but if I were to do them it would put me starting law school in 3 years at age 27. Would graduating at 30 years old put me behind? My numbers are ~3.8 and 171/175 (retake), so I'm aiming for the top schools (and top jobs).
In my head I can't keep thinking that I'd be starting a career at the bottom of the ladder at 30, while others would have started their careers at 25-27, meaning while I'm starting as an entry-level associate, they would be in their 6th year of work doing some cool stuff.

I'm not looking for chances or anything, but essentially, help me resolve my feelings of doing what I want, but feeling old and behind. Or else lay it on me hard that I'm getting old and I should buckle down and just head to law school.

hoos89

Gold

Re: How old is too old?

Post by hoos89 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:37 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 pm

quinpla wrote:How old is "old" to start law school?
There are some things I'd like to do before starting law school, but if I were to do them it would put me starting law school in 3 years at age 27. Would graduating at 30 years old put me behind? My numbers are ~3.8 and 171/175 (retake), so I'm aiming for the top schools (and top jobs).
In my head I can't keep thinking that I'd be starting a career at the bottom of the ladder at 30, while others would have started their careers at 25-27, meaning while I'm starting as an entry-level associate, they would be in their 6th year of work doing some cool stuff.

I'm not looking for chances or anything, but essentially, help me resolve my feelings of doing what I want, but feeling old and behind. Or else lay it on me hard that I'm getting old and I should buckle down and just head to law school.

Relax.

Go when you are ready. Whenever you start a career as a lawyer you will be new to it.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 pm

"Hey look John, Bob has 14 years of experience and Tim has 10 years of experience. We better hire Bob." said no one ever but teachers unions

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Starting at 27 is definitely not too old. Many people start later than that, and have no problem getting top jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:09 am

Yeah, 27 is not even close to "old," much less "too old." Plenty of my classmates at Y are 27+, and a good number are 30+. I imagine H and S are similar in this regard. Being 27 years old will be utterly unremarkable at any top school. Go do something interesting for a while and then apply to law school before your 175 expires.

quinpla

New

Post by quinpla » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I definitely am starting to feel better about it. It's definitely difficult seeing all my friends who are already in law/medical/graduate school or getting good paying jobs while I'm not even thinking of entering for 3 more years. It's also frustrating to feel "old" or "out of place" in any setting. I guess this comes down to the age old wisdom of not comparing myself to others...

Anyhow, thanks for your help, and any additional opinions are welcome! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”