What to wear for orientation week

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby kay2016 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Hufflepuffer wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. :lol:

I will probably just go in jeans.



In all seriousness, mine emailed me and told me casual. If you want to be safe, just do relaxed biz casual and cover your bases.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10980
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:33 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
Hufflepuffer wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. :lol:

I will probably just go in jeans.



In all seriousness, mine emailed me and told me casual. If you want to be safe, just do relaxed biz casual and cover your bases.


Does "casual" include belly dancer/genie costumes? because you should wear that.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Unless you are taking a picture, casual is fine, but I wouldn't look like a slob.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby kay2016 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:35 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Does "casual" include belly dancer/genie costumes? because you should wear that.


That's definitely special occasion wear.. As are all my other halloween costumes :wink:

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby AlanShore » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:39 pm

You have a week of orientation? I just have a day. I hate orientation activities though.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:04 pm

The real question is what backpack are you getting?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby danitt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The real question is what backpack are you getting?

I was hoping to make do with all the Whole Foods brown bags I have.

User avatar
ThetaX
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby ThetaX » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 pm

AlanShore wrote:You have a week of orientation? I just have a day. I hate orientation activities though.


It cannot be worse than undergraduate orientation.

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby kay2016 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm

My UG orientation was only two days..

My law school is three.. :?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The real question is what backpack are you getting?

Backpacks are for proles. A nice, leather messenger bag is TCR.

User avatar
lawdominator
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby lawdominator » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:16 am

I was planning to wear a suit but my school requires us to wear a special tee shirt on the first day

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby AlanShore » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The real question is what backpack are you getting?

Backpacks are for proles. A nice, leather messenger bag is TCR.

books arent too large for messenger/side bags?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27 pm

AlanShore wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The real question is what backpack are you getting?

Backpacks are for proles. A nice, leather messenger bag is TCR.

books arent too large for messenger/side bags?

Does it matter? If it's too large for your messenger bag, hire some poor to carry them around for you.

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Are v-neck t-shirts frowned upon in law school? I have quite a lot of chest hair, if that matters. I have a closet full that I regularly wear and will be sad to part with them.

Not a flame. Entirely serious. I'm also married, so I don't care about scaring off women who dislike chest hair.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:Are v-neck t-shirts frowned upon in law school? I have quite a lot of chest hair, if that matters. I have a closet full that I regularly wear and will be sad to part with them.

Not a flame. Entirely serious. I'm also married, so I don't care about scaring off women who dislike chest hair.

I mean... how are you going to keep the women off of you?

This thread is fucking stupid, btw.

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:47 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:Are v-neck t-shirts frowned upon in law school? I have quite a lot of chest hair, if that matters. I have a closet full that I regularly wear and will be sad to part with them.

Not a flame. Entirely serious. I'm also married, so I don't care about scaring off women who dislike chest hair.

I mean... how are you going to keep the women off of you?

This thread is fucking stupid, btw.


Hopefully the prominent wedding ring will help. If not, I guess no more v-necks. But are v-necks considered sloppy? Everyone at my UG dresses super casual so I haven't given my clothes much thought until recently.

RoaringMice
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:
Hopefully the prominent wedding ring will help. If not, I guess no more v-necks. But are v-necks considered sloppy? Everyone at my UG dresses super casual so I haven't given my clothes much thought until recently.


V necked shirts are not considered sloppy. V necks with a ton of chest hair poking up over the top, however, would be considered sloppy. I'm sorry.

If you like layering, one idea is to wear your v neck t-shirts over a crew necked shirt. This can be a really nice, informal-but-not-sloppy look.

basketball law guy
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby basketball law guy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 am

My school also emailed me and suggested business casual.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 am

i will probably wear vnecks and jeans every single day until OCI

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm

RoaringMice wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:
Hopefully the prominent wedding ring will help. If not, I guess no more v-necks. But are v-necks considered sloppy? Everyone at my UG dresses super casual so I haven't given my clothes much thought until recently.


V necked shirts are not considered sloppy. V necks with a ton of chest hair poking up over the top, however, would be considered sloppy. I'm sorry.


Welp, time to swallow some sadness. I'll just be in the corner having an existential crisis.

psarid
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby psarid » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 pm

.
Last edited by psarid on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby basilseal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The real question is what backpack are you getting?

Backpacks are for proles. A nice, leather messenger bag is TCR.

books arent too large for messenger/side bags?

Does it matter? If it's too large for your messenger bag, hire some poor to carry them around for you.

I like the cut of your jib.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby shibby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Hufflepuffer wrote:Hi guys,

I'll be starting school in about 2 weeks, and I'm wondering what to wear for orientation week

Would a suit and bow-tie be overdoing it? I was thinking about maybe scaling it back to a regular tie, but I'm not sure. I don't want potential classmates / competitors to think I'm sloppy

Thoughts?

edit: but seriously, do ppl show up in jeans and t-shirts or what?


Contrary to popular belief, this is very important. I'd say you can't go wrong with business professional. I remember during our first day of orientation someone wore jeans and a t-shirt and we never saw that guy again. Rumor has it that his admission was rescinded because of his sloppy appearance - something about him not taking legal education seriously. Moreover, I also heard that he didn't get a refund on his tuition either, except for the grand the school gave him to buy a suit and some decent dress shirts, shoes, and ties.


You're joking, right? That's ridiculous, and I wouldn't even want to be associated with that law school.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm

shibby wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Hufflepuffer wrote:Hi guys,

I'll be starting school in about 2 weeks, and I'm wondering what to wear for orientation week

Would a suit and bow-tie be overdoing it? I was thinking about maybe scaling it back to a regular tie, but I'm not sure. I don't want potential classmates / competitors to think I'm sloppy

Thoughts?

edit: but seriously, do ppl show up in jeans and t-shirts or what?


Contrary to popular belief, this is very important. I'd say you can't go wrong with business professional. I remember during our first day of orientation someone wore jeans and a t-shirt and we never saw that guy again. Rumor has it that his admission was rescinded because of his sloppy appearance - something about him not taking legal education seriously. Moreover, I also heard that he didn't get a refund on his tuition either, except for the grand the school gave him to buy a suit and some decent dress shirts, shoes, and ties.


You're joking, right? That's ridiculous, and I wouldn't even want to be associated with that law school.

This is obviously a joke.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: What to wear for orientation week

Postby shibby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Eh, yeah, gave it a bit more thought and realized that.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clshopeful and 1 guest