Application Fee Waivers

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Application Fee Waivers

Postby o'kane » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:51 pm

I graduated from college a couple of years ago and took the LSAT (173) last December. And I'm a URM (Puerto Rican). I will be applying this fall for 2014. I haven't really looked at the applications yet, but I have a question. How does one go about seeking fee waivers? Do you need to ask before you apply? Who do you ask and how? Thanks in advance.

Re: Application Fee Waivers

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:25 pm

After purchasing CRS, there should be a "Release of Information" option in your LSAC profile page to indicate your willingness to receive communications from potential law schools. Be warned, however, that even though this may lead to you receiving fee waivers from schools, it may also lead to getting a barrage of emails from TTTTs (see, e.g., this thread).

You can also contact schools directly and solicit fee waivers.

ETA: FWIW, I also went to an event last fall where law school representatives came to my school, answered everyone's questions, and even handed out fee waivers (usually the lower ranked schools). You'll probably get better results waiting for fee waivers to come to your email, or being proactive and soliciting them yourself.

Re: Application Fee Waivers

Postby chinadoll » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

with that score, you'll get waivers from mostly everyone minus top 2 or so (i'm not sure if harvard and yale do non-financial-need waivers). if you don't want to be bombarded by TTT, make a new email specifically for law school applications. uva and michigan are slower at sending out waiver notices than activating them, so just fill out your application and see if it makes you pay.

Return to “Law School FAQ”