Why did you go to law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
UnicornDemon
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 am

Why did you go to law school?

Postby UnicornDemon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Just wondering. The vast majority of people at my school, University of Miami, who are applying to law school are kids with useless majors (i.e. Art History). I'm assuming they are shooting for law school since they don't know what else to do with their lives or degree.

What prompted you to go to law school?

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 pm

UnicornDemon wrote:Just wondering. The vast majority of people at my school, University of Miami, who are applying to law school are kids with useless majors (i.e. Art History). I'm assuming they are shooting for law school since they don't know what else to do with their lives or degree.

What prompted you to go to law school?


The two business law classes I took in college were some of the more enjoyable and practical courses I've ever taken. Also, the type of work that it appears lawyers do...research, writing, analytical reasoning, negotiation, advising, ect, are all of interest to me, and I think I'd do quite well in.

And for the record, I had a useful major, and have a 9-5 job that pays in the $60ks.

UnicornDemon
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby UnicornDemon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:57 pm

paglababa wrote:And for the record, I had a useful major, and have a 9-5 job that pays in the $60ks.


Tell me more.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm

I love to argue and research very niche things on the Google


seems perfect

My UG degree was in Finance with enough of a focus on accounting that I could have gotten a job in either field I'd imagine (Never applied to any, really)


Also, 3 more years of getting to live like a student, high salaries, and hopefully one day the option to work in-house to help a company I am fond of succeed in the world




the debt sucks though, law school even 10 years ago was such a better investment

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:07 pm

sinfiery wrote:I love to argue and research very niche things on the Google


seems perfect

My UG degree was in Finance with enough of a focus on accounting that I could have gotten a job in either field I'd imagine (Never applied to any, really)


Also, 3 more years of getting to live like a student, high salaries, and hopefully one day the option to work in-house to help a company I am fond of succeed in the world




the debt sucks though, law school even 10 years ago was such a better investment


+1. This. The only difference is I tried out the whole job in finance/accounting thing and after two years I can say, not content/fullfilled. It was good experience though, but I'd rather not deal with numbers in this sense anymore. The debt sucks, but that's why I'm busting balls to get 170+ for $$$$ at T14 before I quit my job.

Also, being in school for 3 more years is gonna be pretty sweet despite the 1L stress I hear about.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby john1990 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:24 pm

My father got me interested in Law. I did some pre-law to determine if i was really interested. After reading an entire 1200 page business law book 8) I was determined to study law. No other study grabs me the same way that law does. Also, my undergrad degree (accounting) ties into Corporate and increases my earning potential.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby jselson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:10 pm

I was doing a PhD in English when I decided to apply. My interests and research fell heavily within political/legal history/theory, and I'm pretty good at close reading texts. My individual field of specialization seemed to be becoming less and less relevant than when it was at its heyday in the 60s-80s, but I didn't know that 'til I after I started the program. I figured that I'd rather let literature be a hobby/pleasure for me, and move into a field with a better job market that still was square within my interests and abilities. I'm very satisfied with the intellectual and practical training I got in grad school, tho.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Because I enjoy incredibly boring tasks, and I was sick of my exciting life as a music educator.

No, seriously.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby DildaMan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

UnicornDemon wrote:Just wondering. The vast majority of people at my school, University of Miami, who are applying to law school are kids with useless majors (i.e. Art History). I'm assuming they are shooting for law school since they don't know what else to do with their lives or degree.

What prompted you to go to law school?


Monies and Ignorance.

User avatar
A-Modest-Proposal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby A-Modest-Proposal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 pm

DildaMan wrote:
UnicornDemon wrote:
Monies and Ignorance.


Monies and bitches

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby paglababa » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:15 pm

A-Modest-Proposal wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
UnicornDemon wrote:
Monies and Ignorance.


Monies and bitches


the two fundamental truths of life.

Fish127
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Fish127 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Dylan McDermott

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby LexLeon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Ever since I was a lad, I knew I was meant to be an attorney...

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:52 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phoenix Wright.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phoenix Wright.


OBJECTION!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3401
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Dat prestige.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby banjo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:59 pm

jselson wrote:I was doing a PhD in English when I decided to apply. My interests and research fell heavily within political/legal history/theory, and I'm pretty good at close reading texts. My individual field of specialization seemed to be becoming less and less relevant than when it was at its heyday in the 60s-80s, but I didn't know that 'til I after I started the program. I figured that I'd rather let literature be a hobby/pleasure for me, and move into a field with a better job market that still was square within my interests and abilities. I'm very satisfied with the intellectual and practical training I got in grad school, tho.


More or less the same for me. I also like that law has a significant impact on the world, and that the stakes are high. I also often tell aspiring academics that a year working at a law firm has shown me that the life of the mind is not confined to the academy. If you watch attorneys at oral argument on a complex litigation (not at all an unrealistic goal out of the T14), you'll find that there is a great deal of grappling with abstract ideas and vigorous interpretation of texts. I've seen hour-long argument over the interpretation of a single word in a contract. This is the real deal -- not the kind of circle-jerking you see in most seminars.

User avatar
scifiguy
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby scifiguy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Because I enjoy incredibly boring tasks, and I was sick of my exciting life as a music educator.

No, seriously.



Why do you say "boring," Scotusnerd?

User avatar
A-Modest-Proposal
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby A-Modest-Proposal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 pm

DildaMan wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Phoenix Wright.


OBJECTION!


Hold It! You can't just go throwing around video game references like that.

User avatar
Hufflepuffer
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Hufflepuffer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 am

Summer abroad and semester exchanges

hashashin
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby hashashin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Edited
Last edited by hashashin on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I've always fancied myself the humanitarian sort, but I think my main motivation was to gain unchecked power over people and destroy their lives.

Fish127
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Fish127 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 am


blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 am

Was in a dead-end job, figured it was my best shot at an actual career from my useless major.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Why did you go to law school?

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I've always fancied myself the humanitarian sort, but I think my main motivation was to gain unchecked power over people and destroy their lives.


Incredible.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest