Stafford Loans

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Stafford Loans

Postby john1990 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:12 pm

I just accepted my loan off of my schools financial aid site and i am waiting for it to be disbursed. Does anyone know when money is normally paid out? I have no money to get an apartment until the check comes in and i saw a loan disbursement date of sept. 2nd on one page :evil: Hopefully that is a deadline or else how would anyone arange for housing before the semester :?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby guano » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:15 pm

john1990 wrote:I just accepted my loan off of my schools financial aid site and i am waiting for it to be disbursed. Does anyone know when money is normally paid out? I have no money to get an apartment until the check comes in and i saw a loan disbursement date of sept. 2nd on one page :evil: Hopefully that is a deadline or else how would anyone arange for housing before the semester :?

On a completely irrelevant note, what school did you ultimately choose?

- thisisdingbat

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:15 pm

I would call your schools financial aid department. This is very likely a school specific schedule.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby john1990 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:I just accepted my loan off of my schools financial aid site and i am waiting for it to be disbursed. Does anyone know when money is normally paid out? I have no money to get an apartment until the check comes in and i saw a loan disbursement date of sept. 2nd on one page :evil: Hopefully that is a deadline or else how would anyone arange for housing before the semester :?

On a completely irrelevant note, what school did you ultimately choose?

- thisisdingbat


Washington and Lee

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 pm

At a lot of schools they don't disburse until after school has already started. So September 2nd sounds about right. People generally arrange for housing using savings or $ from family. I needed about 4k upfront for my first year for 1st and last month's rent, security deposit, and realtor fee. At least furniture and travel can be paid with a credit card. If your school has student housing, they might be the sort that just bills your housing to your student bill, then you can pay that when student loan money comes. But this isn't an unusual situation.

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 am

cinephile wrote:At a lot of schools they don't disburse until after school has already started. So September 2nd sounds about right. People generally arrange for housing using savings or $ from family. I needed about 4k upfront for my first year for 1st and last month's rent, security deposit, and realtor fee. At least furniture and travel can be paid with a credit card. If your school has student housing, they might be the sort that just bills your housing to your student bill, then you can pay that when student loan money comes. But this isn't an unusual situation.


Most programs don't disperse funds until at least 2 weeks into the semester to catch those who would otherwise drop the classes to just keep the money.

User avatar
Clyde Frog
Posts: 7171
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Stafford Loans

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 am

Matthew Stafford loan?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest