Study Abroad Fiasco Affecting Transcript/Grades

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
carloney

Study Abroad Fiasco Affecting Transcript/Grades

Postby carloney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 am

Hello all,
New to posting in the forums and I had a quick question.
I will give you some background info.

I was an exchange student in Brazil for 6 months during undergrad (which I am still in). I was sent to a school that I was assured would have the courses I needed and it did not. I was accidentally enrolled in a course that I was not supposed to be in and received a D. I am not this kind of student. The school would not remove the grade since I passed their deadline...even though I was not supposed to be in the class to begin with. It was only a one hour course so I've moved past that. The problem is that the school went on strike making it so I could not complete my courses (the D course was a short course so it finished) and as a result have 8 hours of "progress" on my transcript. I will take care of four hours of that before I apply to law school, but there will still be a random four hours of "progress" (PR) that will not disappear until I am holding my bachelor's degree at the end of Spring 2014.

Does anyone see this causing a problem? Is there a place on law school applications to explain a thing like this, an addendum or what have you?

Thank you for reading. I am sure that I will learn a lot from the forums and TLS.

CR2012

Re: Study Abroad Fiasco Affecting Transcript/Grades

Postby CR2012 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:58 am

If this problem persists at the time that you are filing your application you should submit an addendum explaining everything.

carloney

Postby carloney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:00 am

I'm just glad you confirmed that it is possible to submit and addendum. I hope this issue is addendum worthy. I would really like to avoid looking like I am making excuses.

Thank you for your reply btw

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:11 am

carloney wrote:I'm just glad you confirmed that it is possible to submit and addendum. I hope this issue is addendum worthy. I would really like to avoid looking like I am making excuses.

This isn't just addendum worthy , schools are not going to understand that transcript. The D is your fault for not withdrawing, but the school being on strike is definitely something to explain.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:58 am

NYstate wrote:
carloney wrote:I'm just glad you confirmed that it is possible to submit and addendum. I hope this issue is addendum worthy. I would really like to avoid looking like I am making excuses.

This isn't just addendum worthy , schools are not going to understand that transcript. The D is your fault for not withdrawing, but the school being on strike is definitely something to explain.

Fuck that shit. Sue the bastards.

If you were never "in" the class, you shouldn't receive a grade in the class. (How could you have even gotten a D?)

That's what deans are for. To make exceptions to policies. Sure, if we make an exception for one, we....well, depends on what happened. Did you just oversleep on the day of the withdrawal deadline? Or was there a real fuckup?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:00 am

I don't get the problem. The school went on strike? The school itself cannot be the cause of your breach. Tell them to take their polices and shove it. (And tell them to stop going on strike--I'm sure they're all doing fine.)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 am

Actually I think "in progress" grades aren't that unusual. There are circumstances where you can't get a grade for a 2-semester course until you've finished both semesters (e.g. writing an honors thesis or similar project). You should still write an addendum explaining what exactly happened in your case becaue obviously it's out of the ordinary, but I don't think it will negatively affect you.

carloney

Postby carloney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

I was at a Brazilian university, and apparently they go on strike all the time. The D is because the registrars there enrolled me in a course I wasn't even in. I didn't get the transcript until I was back in the states and by then I couldn't drop. Just like I can't take back a bad grade here after it happened. But I'm resigned to that.

It's essentially having incomplete hours in my transcript that is worrying me.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:59 pm

carloney wrote:I was at a Brazilian university, and apparently they go on strike all the time. The D is because the registrars there enrolled me in a course I wasn't even in. I didn't get the transcript until I was back in the states and by then I couldn't drop. Just like I can't take back a bad grade here after it happened. But I'm resigned to that.

It's essentially having incomplete hours in my transcript that is worrying me.

Incompletes aren't unheard of. Can you get the registrar or someone official to write a brief letter explaining how the failure to receive grades was outside your control and all the credits will be completed?

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Are these grades on your undergrad transcript, the transcript of the strike-prone Brazilian institution, or the transcript of some study abroad/exchange provider?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm

If it's a Brazilian university and not an American (or Canadian) school, then why do you even have to submit your transcripts in the first place? If you went for less than a year and it wasn't part of an American program, you don't have to submit the foreign grades. Just email LSAC and ask if you even need to submit it before worrying about it.

carloney

Postby carloney » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:13 pm

It was an exchange program. I was registered for hours at my normal american school, and I was registered for equal hours at the brazilian school. I have fought tooth and nail to get the bad grade taken off and the other courses credited in some manner. Essentially the brazilian school wont budge and since they won't budge my normal school can't just report whatever they want. My school's hands are tied because the brazilian school reported the grades to them.
I even met with the dean of my college and he acknowledged it was a crummy situation, but the best they can do is let me retake the progress stuff at no charge.

At the end of the day there is no way to fix the situation and make it right and honestly how it was treated does not make sense, but its how it went down.

But thanks for the answers. I may submit an addendum, or if its not too big of a deal I will just let it ride.

Return to “Law School FAQ”