Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby koval » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm

In Elie Mystal's interview with Bloomberg Law about the ATL rankings he made mention that 10-15 years down the line schools would probably split into a minimum of 2 groups in which there are schools that train lawyers for the traditional partner track or federal court appointments and schools that train lawyers who are associates for life outside of NLJ250, earning a middle class income but never going to that upper level of the profession.

If this is the case and 10-15 years down the line law schools start to re-categorize themselves, where do you see this break happening? T-14, T-25, T-1?

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby guano » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm

It's already happened
t14 is basically biglaw & federal clerk track
T1 (and T2?) & strong regionals is non biglaw/fed clerk track
TTT is unemployment line track

But the top and bottom students of each group can end up crossing into the category above or below

(HYS can be considered the academia track, but that's a separate discussion)

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Wouldn't that imply lower schools will reduce tuition? Does anyone see that happening?

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby zozin » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Wouldn't that imply lower schools will reduce tuition? Does anyone see that happening?

Just do PAYE bro.

User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby koval » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:20 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Wouldn't that imply lower schools will reduce tuition? Does anyone see that happening?


It might, they could also reduce class sizes to fall closer in line with demand (ex. Georgetown) or I imagine some might die off, which I think for some TTTT.

dcruss wrote:In Elie Mystal's interview with Bloomberg Law about the ATL rankings he made mention that 10-15 years down the line schools would probably split into a minimum of 2 groups in which there are schools that train lawyers for the traditional partner track or federal court appointments and schools that train lawyers who are associates for life outside of NLJ250, earning a middle class income but never going to that upper level of the profession.

If this is the case and 10-15 years down the line law schools start to re-categorize themselves, where do you see this break happening? T-14, T-25, T-1?


Yeah I agree, T-14 or T-25 depending on region.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby guano » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Some schools have in-state tuition of $20k-$30k already

2013applicant
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby 2013applicant » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Elie Mystal is a learned thinker and we should hold his opinions in high esteem.


:roll:

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Doesn't this already exist? We have one group of schools that teaches students how to think critically and solve problems, and then another group that teaches students how to pass the bar.

The most defined break that will ever exist is T14 and non-T14. In terms of the "preparation" students need to do, even the strong regionals would be better off preparing their students for something besides Biglaw.

Also, Elie Mystal is an idiot.

User avatar
Barack O'Drama
Posts: 2156
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Above the Law Elie Mystal Prediction

Postby Barack O'Drama » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Doesn't this already exist? We have one group of schools that teaches students how to think critically and solve problems, and then another group that teaches students how to pass the bar.

The most defined break that will ever exist is T14 and non-T14. In terms of the "preparation" students need to do, even the strong regionals would be better off preparing their students for something besides Biglaw.

Also, Elie Mystal is an idiot.


+1




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest