To those of you currently in BigLaw: Do you like it?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cl101

To those of you currently in BigLaw: Do you like it?

Postby cl101 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:24 pm

I think I could thrive in BigLaw; I'm competitive, actually enjoy long hours, and feel I'm suited to that lifestyle. I am very close to someone who hates big law, but works it (and hopes to make partner) because it pays so well. Thoughts?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: To those of you currently in BigLaw: Do you like it?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:39 pm

The odds of you being a competitive person given that you're on TLS are like 90%.

What do you mean you "enjoy long hours?" It's not about hating long hours, it's hating long hours doing something you think sucks.

You can't be "suited to a lifestyle" that you don't know yet. If that means you're used to working harder/longer than everyone you know, then I promise you that's the case for most T14 grads and it won't make you uniquely suited.

This topic is covered ad nauseum all over this site, and really all over the Internet. Some people really like Biglaw, and some people are only in it for the money/prestige. There are good reasons why so many associates burn out.

You should post in in the "Ask a Graduate" forum if you want firsthand perspectives

cl101

Postby cl101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:52 am

By "competitive", I mean not just that I'm high-achieving or academically gifted, but that I truly thrive in high-pressure, competitive environments. I would rather work in a somewhat "walking on egg shells", crazy over-worked environment than one with just a 9-5 obligation. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there for whom that's important, especially those with spouses or kids. Maybe one day I'll prefer that setup, but for now, Biglaw sounds much more appealing. I thrive off being busy

I'm pretty new to the forums, and I'm really not trying to get on anyone's nerves!

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:25 pm

cl101 wrote:By "competitive", I mean not just that I'm high-achieving or academically gifted, but that I truly thrive in high-pressure, competitive environments. I would rather work in a somewhat "walking on egg shells", crazy over-worked environment than one with just a 9-5 obligation. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there for whom that's important, especially those with spouses or kids. Maybe one day I'll prefer that setup, but for now, Biglaw sounds much more appealing. I thrive off being busy

I'm pretty new to the forums, and I'm really not trying to get on anyone's nerves!

Congrats, you're the average t14 matriculant.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:You should post in in the "Ask a Graduate" forum if you want firsthand perspectives

Return to “Law School FAQ”