Law School Newbie with a few questions?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
boalt4life

Law School Newbie with a few questions?

Postby boalt4life » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:13 am

Hello everyone! I just finished my first year at a public California school (UC) and I had a few questions that I hope to get answered!

1. This past year I took 11 4-unit classes over 3 quarters, receiving 6 A+'s, 2 A's, 2 A-'s, and 1 B+. I am aware that the LSAC counts A+ as 4.33, meaning that my gpa would be a 4.06? Is this for every law school out there? Is my type of gpa common for 1st years?

2. If my regular UC gpa is 3.88, will that effect my Law school application?

3. Will coming from a public UC school (my school is top 50 still on newsweek) lower my chances of getting into a top 14 law school?

4. I have tried getting a part time job but I can't seem to find work, will not working lower my chances of going into law school straight out of undergrad?

5. If I can't find a job, should I start studying for the LSAT? If yes, how should I start?

6. Are internships necessary to be a competitive law school applicant? If so where should I apply?

t-14orbust

Re: Law School Newbie with a few questions?

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 am

If you really want to prepare for law school, you should work on your research skills. A good place to start might be the tls search function. Good luck!

boalt4life

Postby boalt4life » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 am

I have seen many threads similar to some of my questions but I want to get all answers in one if possible, and specific advice for someone like myself :)

cl101

Postby cl101 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:16 am

I'm not in law school, but have a few lawyers in my family that did undergrad at UCs, both recently and decades ago. UCs are very well-respected, though I must admit I think they're not quite as well-known and considered great on the East Coast. Again, I'm no expert on this...but I get the sense graduating from UCLA, UCBerkeley or even UCSD/UCDavis will in no way hurt you if you're looking at West Coast schools and want to practice on the West Coast. It probably won't hurt you either if you're really coming from one of the top schools, like Cal or UCLA. From what I understand, it comes down to GPA and LSAT more than anything else...of course if two people have identical scores but one came from Columbia undergrad and one came from UCIrvine and they're applying to NYU Law, I don't think it'll come as a surprise who's more likely to get in.

I don't really have the knowledge to help you with your other questions

I suppose I can add, however, that I know a few people who went to T14 schools having never worked more than a retail/food service/camp counsellor job, with no real internships. As I said before, I'm not a lawyer or even a law student, but it seems it really is a game of numbers. Business school wants people with work experience, PT school wants people with volunter experience at a clinic, but this is not really the case for law school, it seems. Work experience won't hurt for older students, say people applying to law school at 25+, but it doesn't seem to really be a prereq for acceptance to a great school

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 am

Yeah folks aren't going to respond. It's important not to encourage these topics; your questions are very simple to answer by searching, I looked to give you specific advice but nothing you asked warrants it. Learn about preparing for the process by spending some time reading the great, free, easy to find information available across the forum.

boalt4life

Postby boalt4life » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. Yeah I know some of my questions are pretty basic and I have seen other threads similar to mine, but I am the type of person who likes to be sure of things, so I explicitly stated the questions in my own way. If people don't want to answer that's fine, but if you post in this thread I expect an answer to one of my questions.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Just so this thread can hopefully end here...

boalt4life wrote:Hello everyone! I just finished my first year at a public California school (UC) and I had a few questions that I hope to get answered!

1. This past year I took 11 4-unit classes over 3 quarters, receiving 6 A+'s, 2 A's, 2 A-'s, and 1 B+. I am aware that the LSAC counts A+ as 4.33, meaning that my gpa would be a 4.06? Is this for every law school out there? Is my type of gpa common for 1st years? All law schools take your LSAC GPA and consider nothing else. 4.06 is very high, but you're talking about a single year and you must account for all UG courses taken prior to graduation.
2. If my regular UC gpa is 3.88, will that effect my Law school application? Yes, it will show up on your application. Law schools will only care about your LSAC GPA though.
3. Will coming from a public UC school (my school is top 50 still on newsweek) lower my chances of getting into a top 14 law school? No

4. I have tried getting a part time job but I can't seem to find work, will not working lower my chances of going into law school straight out of undergrad? Most places won't care, only a few really seem to value actual WE, of which, part time jobs do not count.

5. If I can't find a job, should I start studying for the LSAT? If yes, how should I start? Yes, you should start studying for the LSAT. Use the forums here as a good starting point. There is a wealth of information available on the forums.
6. Are internships necessary to be a competitive law school applicant? If so where should I apply? No, they are not required. Just put together as strong an application as you can truthfully produce and let the adcomms decide if you're right for them. For most law schools, that will consist of looking at two things: GPA/LSAT.

/thread

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 pm

boalt4life wrote:If people don't want to answer that's fine, but if you post in this thread I expect an answer to one of my questions.

:roll:

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:16 pm

boalt4life wrote: but if you post in this thread I expect an answer to one of my questions.

I had no idea you owned the internet

Return to “Law School FAQ”