Scheduling a Retake While Applying to JD/MBA Programs Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jingosaur

Gold

Scheduling a Retake While Applying to JD/MBA Programs

Post by jingosaur » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm applying to JD/MBA programs this fall and hope to get all of my applications in by the R1 deadlines (mid-September to mid-October). Applying to business school is a very lengthy process and while applying I will have a full-time job that I can't leave because the work experience is very valuable for my career development/admissions chances.

I just scored a 170 on the June LSAT after PTing an average of 175 on newer PrepTests. With my 3.76 GPA and 780 GMAT, it's good enough to get me into some of my top choices, but I won't get much scholarship money. I want to retake, but there's no way that I'll be able to properly prep for October and applying after the October LSAT isn't an option since JD/MBA applications have much earlier deadlines (the latest possible deadline for Penn's JD/MBA program is 1/7).

My question is: should I retake in February AFTER I submit my applications and then use that LSAT score to negotiate scholarships or get off the waitlist? Is this an effective strategy that works on schools like Penn and Columbia? I really don't want to sit out an additional cycle.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Scheduling a Retake While Applying to JD/MBA Programs

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:33 pm

You were averaging a 175 on PTs and scored a 170 on the real thing. You need to put in about 3 good weeks before the next test to improve your score. Just retake in October. Applications aren't that time consuming, nor is a few weeks of LSAT prep.

Return to “Ask a Law Student”