Advisor: Sorry, you didn't graduate. - help! Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Advisor: Sorry, you didn't graduate. - help!

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm on 7 WLs, five are T14. My UG academic advisor recently advised my that the school will not approve my graduation application because I lack one credit. My "final" semester transcripts have already been submitted to LSAC. This situation will be resolved through transfering credits from another institution in the next three weeks.

My concern is that the schools I'm WLed at won't admit me or at a minimum they will delay their consideration (and let others in ahead of me) because LSAC will be getting my graduation confirmation much later from me than from my peers.

TLS: Should I contact the schools and explain the situation, saying that they can expect me to graduate? Are schools not really even focused on this and satisfied for the moment with my spring grade? Will they remove me from the WL assuming my file is seriously deficient/problematic?
Last edited by JuniperCreekEsq on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Advisor: Sorry, you didn't graduate!

Post by Clearly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:45 pm

It shouldn't make a difference.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Think of this as a blessing in disguise. It gives you the opportunity to delay law school for a year and retake and reapply so that next year you get into in to the T14s that you were waitlisted at this year. You're already very close, so why not try again to make sure you get in next year?

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:13 pm

cinephile wrote:Think of this as a blessing in disguise. It gives you the opportunity to delay law school for a year and retake and reapply so that next year you get into in to the T14s that you were waitlisted at this year. You're already very close, so why not try again to make sure you get in next year?
Where are you waitlisted?

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Advisor: Sorry, you didn't graduate. - help!

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Ignore the situation, play the ignorance card. If its an issue, they'll contact you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:05 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
cinephile wrote:Think of this as a blessing in disguise. It gives you the opportunity to delay law school for a year and retake and reapply so that next year you get into in to the T14s that you were waitlisted at this year. You're already very close, so why not try again to make sure you get in next year?
Cinephile has already graduated/ already in law school. If you're neurotic enough to think a 0L is trying to sabotage your waitlist plans you will probably see maximizing your chances by retaking is the best option.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
this brought out the lulz. youll be an excellent gunner

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeah, I'm a 3L. Not trying to steal anyone's spot on the waitlist, just encouraging the OP to make the best decision possible with regards to future employment prospects.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:50 pm

cinephile wrote:Yeah, I'm a 3L. Not trying to steal anyone's spot on the waitlist, just encouraging the OP to make the best decision possible with regards to future employment prospects.
Thank you for responding to the post. Your advice was extreme given how little you know of the many other factors you'd have to consider for me to get to where you advised me to go - if that makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
cinephile wrote:Yeah, I'm a 3L. Not trying to steal anyone's spot on the waitlist, just encouraging the OP to make the best decision possible with regards to future employment prospects.
Thank you for responding to the post. Your advice was extreme given how little you know of the many other factors you'd have to consider for me to get to where you advised me to go - if that makes sense.
There's really only one thing to consider - employment. If you're not already accepted to a T14 with $, then the sensible thing to do is to retake and reapply. Maybe you already are accepted to a T14 with $, but it sounds like you're on the waitlist for something better. Don't give up on your dreams by throwing it all away on a school that won't be able to place you. Instead put yourself in the best position possible by going to the best school possible.

This isn't extreme advice, btw. This is a pretty normal and conservative viewpoint when it comes to choosing law school.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 pm

cinephile wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
There's really only one thing to consider - employment. If you're not already accepted to a T14 with $, then the sensible thing to do is to retake and reapply. Maybe you already are accepted to a T14 with $, but it sounds like you're on the waitlist for something better. Don't give up on your dreams by throwing it all away on a school that won't be able to place you. Instead put yourself in the best position possible by going to the best school possible.

This isn't extreme advice, btw. This is a pretty normal and conservative viewpoint when it comes to choosing law school.
"Extreme" would be don't go, at all, or only go to HYS or nothing.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 pm

stillwater wrote:
cinephile wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:

"Extreme" would be don't go, at all, or only go to HYS or nothing.
"Extreme" is a relative word, yo.

Anyway, this is tangential. Once it's all resolved, I'm going to post the bridge-burning furious e-mail that I plan to send to my advisor who approved my 4-year grad track at the beginning of my last semester. Of course, just for the lulzing viewing pleasure of my fellow TLSers.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Anyway, this is tangential. Once it's all resolved, I'm going to post the bridge-burning furious e-mail that I plan to send to my advisor who approved my 4-year grad track at the beginning of my last semester. Of course, just for the lulzing viewing pleasure of my fellow TLSers.
I don't think anyone here is going to care about that email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Anyway, this is tangential. Once it's all resolved, I'm going to post the bridge-burning furious e-mail that I plan to send to my advisor who approved my 4-year grad track at the beginning of my last semester. Of course, just for the lulzing viewing pleasure of my fellow TLSers.
Yeah i wouldnt actually do that. But why do you feel that way? Test that with the poll that's up your message board options tab.
Last edited by JuniperCreekEsq on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 am

PRgradBYU wrote:

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 am

If I could offer a word of advice, take nothing personally on TLS or the internet in general.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 am

I sense trolling will soon become more rampant here...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 am

KD35 wrote:I sense trolling will soon become more rampant here...
I hope you're wrong! These email notifications are keeping me from powering through GtM! I appreciate posts that respond to the reason I created this thread... Thanks!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:04 am

TheThriller wrote:If I could offer a word of advice, take nothing personally on TLS or the internet in general.
How could you say that?

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:56 am

Br3v wrote:
TheThriller wrote:If I could offer a word of advice, take nothing personally on TLS or the internet in general.
How could you say that?
TheThriller: If you MUST reply, please PM. Let's be topical, y'all.

But seriously, how could you say that? You have a heart of stone!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Br3v wrote:
How could you say that?

Really dude, take my advice, if you MUST.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 pm

TheThriller wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Br3v wrote:
How could you say that?

Really dude, take my advice, if you MUST.
:lol:

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Could you actually let me know if this gets resolved? I may be in a similar situation next year (but due to an exchange), so I'd like to know if I can still go or not. Hope this all works out man!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Anyway, this is tangential. Once it's all resolved, I'm going to post the bridge-burning furious e-mail that I plan to send to my advisor who approved my 4-year grad track at the beginning of my last semester. Of course, just for the lulzing viewing pleasure of my fellow TLSers.
And you want to be a lawyer? Don't blame it on the advisor. College catalog tells you what you need to graduate bruh

I agree, take it as a blessing in disguise and use more time to try to increase your gpa.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:19 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:

I can't believe you're going to send a mean email to your advisor. That has got to be the most insanely badass thing I've ever heard. Please post the email and share with us other great tales of your masculinity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”