Asking school for a WL decision?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
enidwexler

Asking school for a WL decision?

Postby enidwexler » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 pm

WL'd mid-April, sent LOCI at the end of May, got an interview mid-June.

Would it be bad to send another LOCI explaining that I really need to know ASAP and asking if they could give me any idea of which way they're leaning/when they might be able to tell me? (I need to solidify plans - get an apartment, etc. - at my backup school if I'm not going to get off this WL.)

stillwater

Re: Asking school for a WL decision?

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 pm

enidwexler wrote:WL'd mid-April, sent LOCI at the end of May, got an interview mid-June.

Would it be bad to send another LOCI explaining that I really need to know ASAP and asking if they could give me any idea of which way they're leaning/when they might be able to tell me? (I need to solidify plans - get an apartment, etc. - at my backup school if I'm not going to get off this WL.)

i dunno if it would be "bad" but admissions won't care. hundreds of people are in your position every year and they still take their sweet sweet time.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:45 pm

It might not hurt and you could potentially get an affirmative. On the other hand, pushing for an answer when they aren't yet ready to take you could result in a "no."

I think the most likely case is they will tell you they do not yet have space for you at this time and will give you the option of remaining on the waitlist. After all, if they wanted to deny you they would have done that in the first place. There really is no need to waitlist -> reject.

Ultimately, if you are pretty much at the wire and ready to push forward with where you are admitted then you really have nothing to lose by trying to show some final interest. I would gear your LOCI more along the lines of praise and hope to be admitted than coming across as though you are offering an ultimatum. But that advice should and likely does stand without saying.

Modest, veiled, butt kissing may carry some weight. Some will say waitlist -> admits are strictly numbers based. This might be true at some schools but I know others use a more subjective evaluation when a spot opens up. Schools tend to like to admit people they are pretty sure would come.

In the end, I say do it.

enidwexler

Postby enidwexler » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks, all. Gonna do it. Don't have high hopes, but might as well give it a shot.

Yasy13

Postby Yasy13 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:43 pm

enidwexler wrote:Thanks, all. Gonna do it. Don't have high hopes, but might as well give it a shot.

Let us know what happens! I asked a month ago and a school told me as soon as they finish processing deposits, responses will be sent in waives. Well it's been a month and nothing yet, nor do i see any movement in forums =/. Sucks. Good luck!

Return to “Law School FAQ”