law Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Winkdawg33

New

law

Post by Winkdawg33 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Q
Last edited by Winkdawg33 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Bronze

Re: String of alcohol and drug offenses from early UG years

Post by Tekrul » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Even with cases expunged or sealed, you will have to disclose to both law schools and the bar. I can't quite shed light on what 6 offenses will result in, but the subject matter of drugs/alcohol in itself is not an auto strike out.

As for your chances, each of your charges alone would not be especially troublesome for the school range you are considering, but the lot of them together may indicate a worrisome trend. What I suggest is to emphasize your growth. From the time of these charges, you have completed the steps necessary to put them behind you and, I assume, have been on quite good behavior to have even the felony case expunged.

While voluntarily talking about these problems in a diversity statement may be "calling attention" to something you want to sweep under the rug, in your case with so many instances, I think you would be well served using them, especially emphasizing the growth and maturity you've exhibited in being able to have them expunged after clean conduct in probation or whatever else, clinics, etc.

YMMV but this is exactly what I did with my diversity statement. Now I didn't have quite as many things to explain, but crafting a master story, taking advantage of this board's forum for written statements, making it make you unique, spinning it positively are all things you can do. When writing it, remember - every John and Jerry has done yay and toked up. But this is a chance for you to show the admissions committee that when the other guys go on and pretend to be hard and whatever, you are an example of that one guy who turned around and became that inspirational speaker from the high school auditorium, a minister, a community leader, or in your case, a lawyer. And you have a perspective many people lack.

I think that you should retake the LSAT though. Study with an obsession for 3-5 months gunning for 180 and crack 170. There's a good forum here for studying too.

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey!

Check out the Bar Requirements for the state you are looking to practice & applying to school (which ideal should be the same state) and see what their requirements are... For Example this is FL's

4.Persons who have been convicted of a felony shall not be eligible to apply until the person’s civil rights have been restored.
5.Persons who are serving a sentence of felony probation regardless of adjudication of guilt shall not be eligible to apply until termination of the period of probation.

From what I can tell, schools will certainly look at the volume of incidents but really they want to know if you can pass the C & F of the Bar in that state.

Good Luck, and I agree with the previous poster, boasting that LSAT will help ALOT!

gatorfan163287

New

Post by gatorfan163287 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

MichNole19 wrote:boasting that LSAT will help ALOT!
The above advice is all good advice. Be sure to disclose it to the schools you apply to even if it is sealed/expunged and explain how you have matured since you made those mistakes in life and what you've done to change your life. Should not be the biggest problem in the world as everyone makes mistakes and if you can prove you've learned from it and it will never happen again you should be fine.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am

If you're non-URM, those numbers are unlikely to get you any offers worth accepting. First, check with the state bar where you want to practice and be certain that you can be admitted to the bar after law school. If so, start studying for a retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winkdawg33

New

goo

Post by Winkdawg33 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm

P
Last edited by Winkdawg33 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Winkdawg33 wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback. I will be happy to be accepted at any school within the T-100. I'm also looking at some regional schools as well. If the schools are able to look past my problems, will my 3.3 GPA and 160 LSAT score prevent me from being accepted at any T-100 schools?
The t100 ARE regional schools, with mostly abysmal job prospects, the question isn't could you get in, it's should you go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”