2L Advice

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
WhisperingPines

2L Advice

Postby WhisperingPines » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 am

Hi guys,

I will be a 2L next year and am looking to improve from my 1L grades. I think my issue is with what I did during the year, rather than with exam writing--I think I relied too much on supplements and didn't focus enough on the casebook, and as a result wasn't synthesizing very well. My worry now is that I still don't really understand how to absorb the material in cases without spending way too much time on them/losing the big picture.

Any general advice/tips on approaching cases and testing myself to make sure I'm getting what I need from them? I'm also looking into doing LEEWS this summer, but from my understanding that's mostly focused on actual exam writing, so I'm not sure if it would be helpful (I'm not saying my exam writing skills are perfect, just don't think that's my main issue). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

Devlin

Re: 2L Advice

Postby Devlin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:03 pm

WhisperingPines wrote:Hi guys,

I will be a 2L next year and am looking to improve from my 1L grades. I think my issue is with what I did during the year, rather than with exam writing--I think I relied too much on supplements and didn't focus enough on the casebook, and as a result wasn't synthesizing very well. My worry now is that I still don't really understand how to absorb the material in cases without spending way too much time on them/losing the big picture.

Any general advice/tips on approaching cases and testing myself to make sure I'm getting what I need from them? I'm also looking into doing LEEWS this summer, but from my understanding that's mostly focused on actual exam writing, so I'm not sure if it would be helpful (I'm not saying my exam writing skills are perfect, just don't think that's my main issue). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

Did you go in to your exams knowing your material inside and out?

If yes, then try LEEWS.

kalvano

Re: 2L Advice

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Go speak to professors that taught the classes you didn't do so well in, and ask to go over your exam and have them point out where you could have done better.

And then next year, ask to go over a model answer you wrote to an exam problem with the professor before their exam, and get their take on it.

I did it, and my grades improved immensely.

Return to “Law School FAQ”